Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Version control, webDAV, Ruby on Rails

Personally, I am very interested in SVN, though I understand that probalby that won't be offered any time soon Anyone to second me?

Quote Originally Posted by ZYV
    Personally, I am very interested in SVN, though I understand that probalby that won't be offered any time soon Anyone to second me?
    Seconded

Default Slight question on Ruby

Andrew

i know you have stated that you are waiting for CPanel's Ruby installation stack (ie Rails) to become more mature before implementing Ruby on your servers.

However would it be possible just to install the Ruby binaries for those of us comfortable enough to install the applications ourselves?

Not at this time. We're continuing to work on a good solution for this. Most cPanel hosts are using fastcgi, which is an easy but not very good solution. Ruby/ROR is certainly a feature that we would like to offer in the near future, we just want to do it right.

What are your (as in anyone) thoughts and opinions on possibly having Ruby without Rails? Perhaps running something like eruby? Or is rails the selling point for you?

My experience with Ruby is fairly limited (I prefer PHP 5) and I just want to try and grasp what everyone is and/or plans on using it for.

I still don't know enough about Ruby's runtime environment to even judge it, let alone eRuby. The more I play with Ruby the more it reminds me of Perl which is great except I wouldn't think of using Perl for web programming anymore.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Default Rails is important

Rails is what makes the RoR thing so appealing--it appears that Rails is the magic ingredient that makes quick work of online app development.

Ruby is a nice language and all, but marrying it with Rails takes things to a whole new level. Here's an article that makes a strong case that RoR can save an astonishing amount of development time:

That's kind of what I figured and I've not been too pleased with rails on cPanel.

I've also skimmed that article before. I have a hard time buying into it myself (not saying that it's not necessarily a time saver). Maybe I'm just too much of a programmer in some ways. I'd be just as happy throwing something like that together in PHP or ASP(.NET) which would really take no time at all. Once you have code externalized in classes, etc. you don't need to type it again anyways and you end up using these over and over. But then again, my view point is much the same when it comes to things like FrontPage. I'd rather type the HTML.

Regardless, I imagine that we will end up offering this at some point. It's only a matter of time before it is better integrated into cPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by xoro View Post
    Here's an article that makes a strong case that RoR can save an astonishing amount of development time.
    I read that article and also read part two. Only problem, as a developer, I'm usually worried more about maintenance time than development time. Here's a real good article on maintenance of RoR:

THE EASE OF RUBY ON RAILS MAINTENANCE [PDF]

Usually I maintain my own code so I don't expect the same level of maintainability from RoR because it's generated code but at least the article tells me the code generated is highly maintainable.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Default cPanel v11 - Has Ruby/RoR arrived?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Regardless, I imagine that we will end up offering this at some point. It's only a matter of time before it is better integrated into cPanel.
    I've noticed that WHM/cPanel seem to be at version 11 now, and--according to cpanel.net--Ruby and RoR are both supported as of version 11. Yay!

I've been rooting around my WHM and cPanel pages, trying to determine how they can be activated. I wasn't able to figure it out. Am I missing something?

Thread Information