Version control, webDAV, Ruby on Rails

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

I still don't know enough about Ruby's runtime environment to even judge it, let alone eRuby. The more I play with Ruby the more it reminds me of Perl which is great except I wouldn't think of using Perl for web programming anymore.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• xoro
      • Nov 2004

Rails is important

Rails is what makes the RoR thing so appealing--it appears that Rails is the magic ingredient that makes quick work of online app development.

Ruby is a nice language and all, but marrying it with Rails takes things to a whole new level. Here's an article that makes a strong case that RoR can save an astonishing amount of development time:

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

That's kind of what I figured and I've not been too pleased with rails on cPanel.

I've also skimmed that article before. I have a hard time buying into it myself (not saying that it's not necessarily a time saver). Maybe I'm just too much of a programmer in some ways. I'd be just as happy throwing something like that together in PHP or ASP(.NET) which would really take no time at all. Once you have code externalized in classes, etc. you don't need to type it again anyways and you end up using these over and over. But then again, my view point is much the same when it comes to things like FrontPage. I'd rather type the HTML.

Regardless, I imagine that we will end up offering this at some point. It's only a matter of time before it is better integrated into cPanel.

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by xoro
          Here's an article that makes a strong case that RoR can save an astonishing amount of development time.
          I read that article and also read part two. Only problem, as a developer, I'm usually worried more about maintenance time than development time. Here's a real good article on maintenance of RoR:

THE EASE OF RUBY ON RAILS MAINTENANCE [PDF]

Usually I maintain my own code so I don't expect the same level of maintainability from RoR because it's generated code but at least the article tells me the code generated is highly maintainable.
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• xoro
            • Nov 2004

cPanel v11 - Has Ruby/RoR arrived?

Originally posted by AndrewT
            Regardless, I imagine that we will end up offering this at some point. It's only a matter of time before it is better integrated into cPanel.
            I've noticed that WHM/cPanel seem to be at version 11 now, and--according to cpanel.net--Ruby and RoR are both supported as of version 11. Yay!

I've been rooting around my WHM and cPanel pages, trying to determine how they can be activated. I wasn't able to figure it out. Am I missing something?

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

The completed support for Ruby on Rails will not be available until stage 2 of the cPanel version 11 updates from the cPanel developers. A stable stage 2 version is currently scheduled for release on September 26th but they missed their initial stable stage 1 date by a couple of weeks.

Once the stable stage 2 is released we'll certainly be testing it to see how well it works and we'll proceed from there.

Comment

• ZYV
                • Sep 2005

Decided to post my git request in a separate topic:

Hi! I am looking for Dathorn to supporting git on their servers. I guess I don't have to introduce the system since everybody knows about its unique advantages and spend everybody's time praising its speed, flexibility etc. The deal is that it's not supported at the moment. What I mean by support is that the git client

Comment

Working...