X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mIDO
    • Mar 2004

web development bussines, calc pricing

Hello,

I'm going to start seriously my web development company. By now i've made some websites in my free time, but now, i'm going start my own company.

I'm looking for a guide or reference about things to consider to calc project pricing. price per hour (desing/project/develope...), maintenance, project structure... Do you recomend any book or guide?

Thanks
  • Fran
    • Apr 2004

Books

Originally posted by mIDO
    Hello,

I'm going to start seriously my web development company. By now i've made some websites in my free time, but now, i'm going start my own company.

I'm looking for a guide or reference about things to consider to calc project pricing. price per hour (desing/project/develope...), maintenance, project structure... Do you recomend any book or guide?

Thanks

Two books I've found very useful are: "How to start a home-based web design business" by Jim Smith and "Putting your small business on the web" by Maria Langer.

Not necessarily everything you'll need, but more than you have now...

- Fran

Comment

• retro
      • Jun 2004

I'll second the nod for "How to start a home-based web design business."

It has lots of useful information including sample contracts that you can use as a template for developing your own. Some of the stuff might be a little TOO "beginnerish" but I purchased the book after being in business for nearly 6 months and it was still very helpful.

It does have a section (10 or so pages) specifically geared to helping you choose your rates.

That said, I must admit that his website is pretty ugly. Don't take any design advice out of that book.

Good luck.
      Denny Cave
      http://www.retrointeractive.com

Comment

• Fran
        • Apr 2004

Leaves

Originally posted by retro
        That said, I must admit that his website is pretty ugly. Don't take any design advice out of that book. Good luck.
        Can't believe you didn't like the cute leaves between the buttons!!

You can also download a sample contract from the site for free.

- Fran

Comment

• J-G
          • May 2004

Wha' 'bout Site Point?

Sitepoint peddles a book, a web design business kit, IIRC. You can download the 1st few chapters for free. A tempting lure...
          Browse our comprehensive collection of courses, books, and tutorials on a wide range of development and design topics.
          กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

• james
            • Mar 2004

I've got the siteoint web design business kit, and it's great.

I've read over half of it, and it's helped me immensely so far.

Highly recommended...

The sample files on CD are great too.

Comment

• mIDO
              • Mar 2004

thanks all. i've found a lot of information and useful articles at sitepoint.
              I'm now seeing the model of contract of http://www.blarneystone.com/designbusiness/notes.htm and it seems to look good. Thanks all

Comment

Working...