X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Discussion for New Server Platform & Features Announcement

Discuss away. All questions and comments are welcome!
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

will the DNS servers be one set or two on different connections to the internet ...?

This is great news BTW thanks for the update

Cheers,
    Gary
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

You will get two nameservers as you have now, however this time they will be on seperate class C networks. This should ease problems with certain foreign domains that require this. Hopefully that answers your question.

Comment

• james
        • Mar 2004

Hi Andrew,

That's great news!

I'm assuming the oldest servers will be upgraded first? Will all servers be upgraded? I'm on cpanel34, which i assume would be one of the last to be upgraded?

Thanks.

Comment

• piku
          • Mar 2004

Cool. Great update Andrew. I was waiting for PHP5 so I can run whois.cart among other stuff. I wish you can make a special server for RoR, but then again... these are fine for now.
          my signature was deleted. i miss my signature-filled-with-helpful-dathorn-links *sniff*sniff*

Comment

• Lecter
            • Jul 2004

Very cool is what I think Andrew.

You mentioned cpanel10 as being the first to be moved. If that is the case, do you have a schedule in place yet? Will there be any downtime? If so, how long?

Do I need to shut my forums down, or will the transfer be transparent?

I look forward to PHP5, as more and more of my software supports it.

Thanks for all of your continued efforts and hard work!

Jim

Comment

• timg
              • Feb 2005

For those of us who created our own nameservers, what is the protocol? Create new nameservers the same way we did the old ones, and then switch at the registrar?

Guess I'll have to look up some old info to figure this out.
              ~ Tim Gallant ~ http://www.pactumweb.com

Comment

• Pedja
                • Mar 2004

PHP5? Will PHP4 stil be available in same way as it is now?

Comment

• ZmiyGorinich
                  • Jan 2006

When you plan upgrade cpanel19 server?
                  I am realy need DNS servers in separated class network

Comment

• medwards
                    • Mar 2004

Andrew, glad your customers are important to you....some really nice improvments there.

Can you give us an idea of how long it will take to switch all the servers over and a general idea of what order you are thinkng of?

I'm on two seperate servers...will there be a huge gap between their upgrades?

anyway...thanks for your efforts.

Comment

• samsam
                      • Mar 2004

It's great to have the DNS servers separated out like that. Logical and has lots of practical advantages.

What about doing the same to SMTP and perhaps databases too? Is that doable whilst still retaining cPanel? That also has a lot of practical benefits.

Oh, and what is that ClientExec thing you mentioned Andrew? Is it anything groovy/ useful to improve the client experience?

And also will the proposed dedicated server stuff be standard managed dedicated servers, or offer VPS, or both?

Questions, questions...

Comment

• zenfort
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by samsam
                        Oh, and what is that ClientExec thing you mentioned Andrew? Is it anything groovy/ useful to improve the client experience?

Questions, questions...
                        Clientexec is a great hosting/sales software that is being nicely developed - reasonably priced - good community. I've been using it since there first release.
                        Managing your hosting company just got easier. Clientexec is a client management, support and billing system for web hosting companies

AndrewT The improvments sound very good - thanks.

Comment

• rca
                          • Mar 2004

Do you have a time frame in mind for the upgrades to the servers?

Since I use 3rd party DNS I just want to be ready.

Thanks.

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by james
                            Hi Andrew,

That's great news!

I'm assuming the oldest servers will be upgraded first? Will all servers be upgraded? I'm on cpanel34, which i assume would be one of the last to be upgraded?

Thanks.
                            Oldest servers and those in special need will be upgraded first. At this time all that is know is that cpanel10 will be first followed by cpanel20 most likely. cpanel34 really has not had any problems, is fairly new (Dual Xeon+), and running solid. We still have a few servers running P4's.

Originally posted by Lecter
                            You mentioned cpanel10 as being the first to be moved. If that is the case, do you have a schedule in place yet? Will there be any downtime? If so, how long?

Do I need to shut my forums down, or will the transfer be transparent?
                            No actual downtime will be involved but there will be a period of time where your site may load from the old server for some users and from the new server for others. With heavy MySQL applications it would probably be best to shut them down once the transfer begins to avoid losing information that is added after that.

[quote=timg]For those of us who created our own nameservers, what is the protocol? Create new nameservers the same way we did the old ones, and then switch at the registrar?[/quote

You will simply have to change the IP addresses associated with your custom nameservers. These IP addresses will be available before the actual transfer.

Originally posted by Pedja
                            PHP5? Will PHP4 stil be available in same way as it is now?
                            Yes, PHP4 will still function exactly as it currently does for quite some time. PHP5 will be available by default via .php5 files but this can be changed by each user to execute .php and other extensions as well.

Originally posted by ZmiyGorinich
                            When you plan upgrade cpanel19 server?
                            I am realy need DNS servers in separated class network
                            Unfortunately, cpanel19 is probably one of the last servers that will be upgraded.

Can you give us an idea of how long it will take to switch all the servers over and a general idea of what order you are thinkng of?

I'm on two seperate servers...will there be a huge gap between their upgrades?

anyway...thanks for your efforts.
                            We hope to have all servers upgraded by sometime this summer but only time will tell if that is even possible. Once we get the process fully ironed out it shouldn't be a big deal to get the upgrades done quickly. There very well could be a gap between the two depending on which servers they are.

Originally posted by samsam
                            What about doing the same to SMTP and perhaps databases too? Is that doable whilst still retaining cPanel? That also has a lot of practical benefits.

And also will the proposed dedicated server stuff be standard managed dedicated servers, or offer VPS, or both?
                            Are you referring to clustering or something along those lines? That simply is not feasible for shared hosting. DNS servers are simply being placed on seperate class C networks due to restrictions of certain forgeign domain types.

We will offer both unmanaged and managed dedicated server solutions.

Comment

• flarf
                              • Mar 2004

DNS servers on different class C subnets is all well and good, but are they still going to run on the same box? Or a different box consequently connected to different network hardware etc.?

Originally posted by AndrewT
                              We will offer both unmanaged and managed dedicated server solutions.
                              This is going to be awesome.

Comment

Working...