Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion for New Server Platform & Features Announcement

Please submit a trouble ticket for support.

What will happen to DNS zonefiles, during the transfer cPanel34 -> 43?

a.- Will they ALL be transferred, including parked domain-zones?
    b.- Will you do a search/replace in the zonefiles of the old IP's into the new IP's, after the move?
    c.- What else will potentially screw up in the zonefiles?

You do not need to worry about the zone files unless you have added your own custom entries to them, in that case cPanel will not transfer those custom entries and you will have to re-add them again. Otherwise everything will be transfered properly (parked domains, subdomains, etc.).

since many upgrades have been performed, do you have a bead on the time apps with database updates (shopping cart specifically) should be shutdown to allow for the DNS prop? i would like to tell my customer about how long they should expect for their stores to be closed. i know there are no guarantees, i am just looking to set their expectations the best possible.

thanks for the great work, Andrew and team!

DNS propagation varies a lot from ISP to ISP. Your best bet would be to disable the store when the account transfers begin and then enable it on the new server only once the account is on the new server and change your DNS at that time. That way it will be closed to users viewing the site on the old server but it will be open on the new server as it should be.

Default GoDaddy Custom Name Servers

Hi Andrew, or anyone else for that matter who knows
    I use goDaddy for my main custom nameservers (cpanel32B), when I go to update it, I'm not honestly sure what to do. It doesn't really give me any options to edit, simply to add. Anyone else know how this thing works?

I've personally never used GoDaddy. I suppose you could always remove them then re-add them with the new IP addresses though.

Quote Originally Posted by avenuex
    Hi Andrew, or anyone else for that matter who knows
    I use goDaddy for my main custom nameservers (cpanel32B), when I go to update it, I'm not honestly sure what to do. It doesn't really give me any options to edit, simply to add. Anyone else know how this thing works?
    I am curious about this myself, since all of my names are with them. Please let us know if you figure it out.

I've had to do it before and it's fairly simple. Try this:

1. Log into your domain account at Go Daddy and navigate to your list of domains (Domains | My Domain Names)

2. Click on the domain name you want to change. You should get a summary of the current details on the right side of the window.

3. Click on the + to expand "Domain Host Summary"

4. Click on the link at the bottom of that box that says "Click here to see details or modify". This will take you into edit mode where you can change the name server IP addresses (or rename the name servers if you really wanted to). Save the changes and you're done (as soon as it propagates).

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT
    ...Your best bet would be to disable the store when the account transfers begin and then enable it on the new server only once the account is on the new server and change your DNS at that time...
    That is more the timing I was shooting for (time from account transfer beginning to end; although I know accounts will appear as they move over) so I can tell them their stores will be down for around x amount of time while the accounts are being transfered. I will throw in wording on the DNS prop. I am not looking for time commitments, just a rough order of magnitude.

One other question tied to that. Do you know what time the transfers are scheduled to begin? Is this a overnight thing, middle of the day? I did some searches and didn't run across any previous info on this, but probably just overlooked it.

On the DNS side of things, I am on GoDaddy too and use custom name servers as well. The above instructions are dead on...thanks for posting.

Thread Information