Discussion for New Server Platform & Features Announcement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

Andrey, a suggestin regarding DNS. Making DNS available on different IP groups is great. However, I have quite large number of domains registered for my clients, and changing DNS info in registrar for TLD of my country is quite complicated and slow procedure (it even includes printed applications and it takes about month for change to be proceeded). And, it is required to specify both IP and mnemnic address of DNS servers for domain, and they, of course, must match each other.

I would suggest to leave these two DNS-es used now as is (same IP, same mnemonic address) and add new ones. That will leave space for us who do not need to use DNS servers on separate IP ranges to stay as we are, and save us lots of time and papirology work.

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
      Andrey, a suggestin regarding DNS. Making DNS available on different IP groups is great. However, I have quite large number of domains registered for my clients, and changing DNS info in registrar for TLD of my country is quite complicated and slow procedure (it even includes printed applications and it takes about month for change to be proceeded). And, it is required to specify both IP and mnemnic address of DNS servers for domain, and they, of course, must match each other.

I would suggest to leave these two DNS-es used now as is (same IP, same mnemonic address) and add new ones. That will leave space for us who do not need to use DNS servers on separate IP ranges to stay as we are, and save us lots of time and papirology work.
      Unfortunately that is not much of an option because the old IPs will be dropped entirely when the old servers are upgraded and shutdown one by one. The old gzo.com nameservers will be adjusted to the new IPs. You may want to look into other domain registrars, if possible. Out of curiosity, which TLD are you referring to?

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

FYI, version 3 of the backup system has now been completed and passed all testing. It shouldn't be long before the first server, cpanel10, is upgraded to our new platform (announcements will be made prior to this actually happening).

Comment

• Byon
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by timg
          For those of us who created our own nameservers, what is the protocol? Create new nameservers the same way we did the old ones, and then switch at the registrar?

Guess I'll have to look up some old info to figure this out.
          >Did you figure this one out? I'm also interested in what needs to happen.

Sorry, I see this was already answered. I just need to go to namecheap.com and give my new ip address (when it is available) to my existing custom nameservers.
          Last edited by Byon; 01-24-2006, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Pedja
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
            Unfortunately that is not much of an option because the old IPs will be dropped entirely when the old servers are upgraded and shutdown one by one. The old gzo.com nameservers will be adjusted to the new IPs. You may want to look into other domain registrars, if possible. Out of curiosity, which TLD are you referring to?
            This is national domain TLD. There is just one, you cannot change it. Domain registration policy is very restrictive including providing written proofs about validity of domain owner. It is complicated and slow process.

Is it possible to assign old IP's to new DNS servers together with new IP's? This would realy save us a lot of time and papirology.

When I moved to Dathorn, I had to do this job fro all domains and it took months. Now, after al this time I have much more domains hosted here, and changing IP's in domain registration would realy be painful.

Comment

• olonoh
              • Jan 2006

Are you going to do the PHP5 upgrades in conjunction with the hardware moves, or will you do some before when cPanel is ready?

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
                This is national domain TLD. There is just one, you cannot change it. Domain registration policy is very restrictive including providing written proofs about validity of domain owner. It is complicated and slow process.

Is it possible to assign old IP's to new DNS servers together with new IP's? This would realy save us a lot of time and papirology.

When I moved to Dathorn, I had to do this job fro all domains and it took months. Now, after al this time I have much more domains hosted here, and changing IP's in domain registration would realy be painful.
                That is not an option otherwise we would do that. Our existing servers are in The Planet's dllstx2 while all new servers will be in dllstx3 - entirely different buildings. None of the existing IPs will transfer.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by olonoh
                  Are you going to do the PHP5 upgrades in conjunction with the hardware moves, or will you do some before when cPanel is ready?
                  When the setup is ready, it will be done to all newly upgraded servers and as new ones are upgraded.

Comment

• Backup Bob
                    • May 2004

New servers

It sounds as if an already excellent service is about to get a lot better.

If I am on CP17, with name servers of dns33.gzo.com and dns34.gzo.com, do I understand correctly that even if my new server is named, let's say, CP54 that I still use dns33.gzo.com and dns34.gzo.com?

My registrar uses nameserver names, not IP addresses, so that is a good thing.

When you go to the new servers, will cnames and mx records be carried over? The last time those two sites were upgraded I lost the mail service until those records were updated.

thanx
                    A very satisfied customer since 06/02/03. Dathorn rocks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Backup Bob
                      It sounds as if an already excellent service is about to get a lot better.

If I am on CP17, with name servers of dns33.gzo.com and dns34.gzo.com, do I understand correctly that even if my new server is named, let's say, CP54 that I still use dns33.gzo.com and dns34.gzo.com?

My registrar uses nameserver names, not IP addresses, so that is a good thing.

When you go to the new servers, will cnames and mx records be carried over? The last time those two sites were upgraded I lost the mail service until those records were updated.

thanx
                      Yes, you would use the same gzo.com nameservers in your case. As far as I know, cPanel backups now properly include MX records, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm the settings after the domain transfered.

Comment

• cathode
                        • Oct 2004

I haven't seen it said, but can we count on a warning before every server is switched over? I'm on 09.

Comment

• -Oz-
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cathode
                          I haven't seen it said, but can we count on a warning before every server is switched over? I'm on 09.
                          yes, you can count on a warning (its actually been said). The warning will look very similar to the one just posted in the announcents forum for cpanel10. Also, Andrew said he will email all the users on the server.
                          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Absolutely. All server upgrades have always been announced here in the forums more than 48 hours in advance. Since these new upgrades require some customers to change DNS, e-mail notifications are sent out as well. The cpanel10 e-mail notification will go out tomorrow.

Comment

• Backup Bob
                              • May 2004

MX Records - CNames. CNames Run. Run Names Run.

Originally posted by AndrewT
                              Yes, you would use the same gzo.com nameservers in your case. As far as I know, cPanel backups now properly include MX records, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm the settings after the domain transfered.
                              So, when do we know when our server is being migrated? Will each user be advised, or do we camp out on this forum?
                              A very satisfied customer since 06/02/03. Dathorn rocks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                                Administrator
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Backup Bob
                                So, when do we know when our server is being migrated? Will each user be advised, or do we camp out on this forum?
                                Please see the posts above.

Comment

Working...