X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avenuex
    • Apr 2004

GoDaddy Custom Name Servers

Hi Andrew, or anyone else for that matter who knows
    I use goDaddy for my main custom nameservers (cpanel32B), when I go to update it, I'm not honestly sure what to do. It doesn't really give me any options to edit, simply to add. Anyone else know how this thing works?

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

I've personally never used GoDaddy. I suppose you could always remove them then re-add them with the new IP addresses though.

Comment

• KyleC
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by avenuex
        Hi Andrew, or anyone else for that matter who knows
        I use goDaddy for my main custom nameservers (cpanel32B), when I go to update it, I'm not honestly sure what to do. It doesn't really give me any options to edit, simply to add. Anyone else know how this thing works?
        I am curious about this myself, since all of my names are with them. Please let us know if you figure it out.
        -Kyle

Comment

• JohnI
          • Mar 2004

I've had to do it before and it's fairly simple. Try this:

1. Log into your domain account at Go Daddy and navigate to your list of domains (Domains | My Domain Names)

2. Click on the domain name you want to change. You should get a summary of the current details on the right side of the window.

3. Click on the + to expand "Domain Host Summary"

4. Click on the link at the bottom of that box that says "Click here to see details or modify". This will take you into edit mode where you can change the name server IP addresses (or rename the name servers if you really wanted to). Save the changes and you're done (as soon as it propagates).

Comment

• zen
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
            ...Your best bet would be to disable the store when the account transfers begin and then enable it on the new server only once the account is on the new server and change your DNS at that time...
            That is more the timing I was shooting for (time from account transfer beginning to end; although I know accounts will appear as they move over) so I can tell them their stores will be down for around x amount of time while the accounts are being transfered. I will throw in wording on the DNS prop. I am not looking for time commitments, just a rough order of magnitude.

One other question tied to that. Do you know what time the transfers are scheduled to begin? Is this a overnight thing, middle of the day? I did some searches and didn't run across any previous info on this, but probably just overlooked it.

On the DNS side of things, I am on GoDaddy too and use custom name servers as well. The above instructions are dead on...thanks for posting.

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

The overall time that it takes to complete the transfers varies greatly. There is no set time that the transfers will begin, aside from that they will begin on the scheduled date. The thread is updated noting the entire upgrade process.

Comment

• zen
                • Mar 2004

what are the recommendations for mail transfers while name server prop is happening? some of my customers are reporting new emails not getting to them and i assume this is due to the change in name server IPs. best i figured was having them login to their old server's webmail and reforward everything. any better solutions?

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

There's really not a better solution. In order to make sure all mail is received you would have to download e-mail from both servers for a period of time until DNS propagate is complete.

Comment

• Buddha
                    • Mar 2004

There's really not a better solution. In order to make sure all mail is received you would have to download e-mail from both servers for a period of time until DNS propagate is complete.
                    You can do that, download e-mail from both servers, using your HOST file switching between old and new IPs. Just need to setup a "mail.domain.com" entries.

HOST file is also helpful for flaky ISP DNSs like those at Verizons. Had the new IP working all day to night it's the old IP again.

Host file entries for the following domains can be very useful when waiting for IP to propagate:

domain.com

ftp.domain.com
                    mail.domain.com
                    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Aze
                      • Mar 2004

Sorry, I might be missing something - but is the Cpanel missing?

I go to domain.com/cpanel and it's giving me an error page where it used to prompt me for my login information.

Anyone able to help me with this one? I didn't want to submit a trouble ticket if it's just something I'm not noticing.

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

More than likely the domain is setup to use a cPanel theme that does not exist on the server. You'll need to modify the domain via WHM to change the cPanel theme.

Comment

• fornewdomain
                          • Oct 2004

DNS

All my hostings are running on my own dns. I have registered ns1 and ns2 as follows:
                          ns1.fornewdomain.com 64.5.52.100
                          ns2.fornewdomain.com 64.5.52.101

My main account fornewdomain.com is also running own same Hosting. Whether I need to change these numbers?

Please guide me when to change the ip for the ns?

My important aim is all the domain should running without fail.

Moin

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

In that case you will have to change the IPs associated with your custom nameservers as per the forum thread. This should be done once all accounts are transfered.

Comment

• earth-friendly
                              • Jan 2006

Hi. Just checking to see if you have plans to upgrade cpanel23b anytime soon. I'm going away on vacation soon, and I just want to be prepared.
                              Thanks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                                Administrator
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by earth-friendly
                                Hi. Just checking to see if you have plans to upgrade cpanel23b anytime soon. I'm going away on vacation soon, and I just want to be prepared.
                                Thanks!
                                That would depend entirely upon on you definition of "soon"

It won't be any time this month, beyond that I really cannot say.

Comment

Working...