Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cathode
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
    Absolutely. All server upgrades have always been announced here in the forums more than 48 hours in advance. Since these new upgrades require some customers to change DNS, e-mail notifications are sent out as well. The cpanel10 e-mail notification will go out tomorrow.
    I appreciate that, I had missed it previously.

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
      This is national domain TLD. There is just one, you cannot change it. Domain registration policy is very restrictive including providing written proofs about validity of domain owner. It is complicated and slow process.
      Which TLD, specifically, is this?

Comment

• Monolith
        • Aug 2005

Whoa.

I love you, Andrew.

You said the upgrades will be (relatively) sequential based on the age of the server - but since cpanel 10 is first, cpanel 20 is next, and cpanel 19 isn't till the end... im guessing that just looking at the numbers wont tell us when each server specifically is gonna get upgraded. Any chance of a 'roadmap' or something? It's pointless and a waste of time, i know... but it'd be cool.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Monolith
          You said the upgrades will be (relatively) sequential based on the age of the server - but since cpanel 10 is first, cpanel 20 is next, and cpanel 19 isn't till the end... im guessing that just looking at the numbers wont tell us when each server specifically is gonna get upgraded. Any chance of a 'roadmap' or something? It's pointless and a waste of time, i know... but it'd be cool.
          Unfortunately I can't really provide any roadmap as we've not decided beyond cpanel10 and cpanel20 at this point. I believe those 2 servers are the only ones still running on P4s, so we'll have to figure out how we will work from there exactly. All upgrades are announced well in advance though.

Comment

• Andy
            • Mar 2004

Andrew,

When the migration to the new servers are completed, how will the old server be online for? A day or two, a week. I am asking because of replication. (So I/we know how long we have to inform userw to update there DNS IP entries if need be.)
            Andy

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Andy
              Andrew,

When the migration to the new servers are completed, how will the old server be online for? A day or two, a week. I am asking because of replication. (So I/we know how long we have to inform userw to update there DNS IP entries if need be.)
              At least 48 hours, probably closer to 4-5 days minimum if not a week (7 days).

Comment

• Pedja
                • Mar 2004

That is not an option otherwise we would do that. Our existing servers are in The Planet's dllstx2 while all new servers will be in dllstx3 - entirely different buildings. None of the existing IPs will transfer.
                If I understood well, you wil leave old DNS up for few days after the change. Since We need months to do the change in TLD this means we are in deep sh**, I mean trouble...

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
                  If I understood well, you wil leave old DNS up for few days after the change. Since We need months to do the change in TLD this means we are in deep sh**, I mean trouble...
                  Specifically, which TLD are you referring to?

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

Apparently it is the .yu TLD, although I looked briefly and was unable to find any such restrictions in DNS changes. However, if they do exist, then that is simply a problem that you are going to have with those domains. I'm not aware of any other registry taking that long to make DNS changes, that simply is not feasible, this is the internet after all. Your best bet for now and the future would be to use something like ZoneEdit and maintain your own DNS with them, thus avoiding anymore changes in the future.

Comment

• Backup Bob
                      • May 2004

Moving my sites

I am considering upgrading my account. I have the 2 gig (now doubled to 4 gig) service. I may want to double that.

I am on CP17. Would it be advantageous to begin the process of doubling my space prior to the move?

In other words, if I double my space later, do I wind up on two spindles vs one spindle? If so, it may be advantageus to double the account when you do the migration. I do not need the space right now but I will in the next month or two.

The new accounts are 4 and 8 gig. Since I paid to double a while back, is that 8 and 16, or will it be 4 and 8?

Thanks, Andrew, for a wonderful service. I have had only a few problems along the way in the two years I have been here, and most were issues with setting up special features. I have 25 or so domains hosted on your servers and that sort of thing is to be expected.

What matters is that when I open a service ticket I get a reply in minutes or hours, not days, and the problem is resolved quickly. Your service has been excellent. Thanks again for a very reliable and cost-effective service.
                      A very satisfied customer since 06/02/03. Dathorn rocks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Also, Pedja, I'm not sure what server you are on, but if you changed all your DNS to something like ZoneEdit right now instead of waiting to change it to our new DNS, you could avoid the downtime.

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

The double special is only valid once, which would match the plans listed on our website as they already include the specials. You cannot keep paying for it to continually double your resources, you would have to upgrade your hosting plan.

Comment

• Backup Bob
                            • May 2004

Doubling my site

The double special is only valid once, which would match the plans listed on our website as they already include the specials. You cannot keep paying for it to continually double your resources, you would have to upgrade your hosting plan.
                            I understand that I now have double what I was paying for. Of course, the new plans are all double but that is not the issue.

If you are moving CP17 to new servers, would be advantageous to double my plan from 4 gig to 8 gig before the move? Would that put everything on one spindle, possibly improving performance? Or is that immaterial?
                            A very satisfied customer since 06/02/03. Dathorn rocks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Backup Bob
                              I understand that I now have double what I was paying for. Of course, the new plans are all double but that is not the issue.

If you are moving CP17 to new servers, would be advantageous to double my plan from 4 gig to 8 gig before the move? Would that put everything on one spindle, possibly improving performance? Or is that immaterial?
                              You cannot double your account again. If you have the basic plan you can only get 4GB/60GB. It cannot be doubled again.

Regardless, upgrades are never split up, they are all still one account on the same server. Nothing changes but the amount of resources allocated to you.

Comment

• Tegeril
                                • Feb 2006

The new server has newer dns entries listed. Does it matter if we use those or dns19/20? (edit: I realize you said we could just leave them as dns19/20, but will those be abandoned at anytime such that we'd inevitably have to change to the new, higher numbers?)
                                Last edited by Tegeril; 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...