Discussion for New Server Platform & Features Announcement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cathode
    • Oct 2004

Andrew, this is awesome stuff, also I'm pumped about client exec. I will be jumping on that.

More on the custom nameservers - Will we be informed once the move happens, so that we can quickly go in and change the IP of these custom nameservers?

Is there a potential of downtime for these nameservers if the move happens and we don't know about it, because they point to the old IP's?

Will you post a message or announcement before each server gets moved?

Thanks!

Comment

• samsam
      • Mar 2004

What about doing the same to SMTP and perhaps databases too? Is that doable whilst still retaining cPanel? That also has a lot of practical benefits.
      Hi Andrew.

Thanks for the extra info.

Sorry about the confusion here. Yep, I guess clustering it is.

I was referring to an architecture where it was possible to have each cPanel server (cpanel32, 33 34 etc) call just a couple of separate stand-alone Dathorn SMTP mail (and perhaps SQL) servers, rather than each cpanel server having to run its own SMTP service, SQL service etc etc as happens now and which always seemed rather in-efficient to me. Conceptually it is identical to what you are proposing to do with DNS.

It was a notion tossed around on these forums last year:
      Hi: I was wondering how flexible cPanel and WHM were in running all the services they needed to run. This train of thought was prompted by the continuing discussion of performance issues in these forums - how many users can a Dathorn account support, how much resource utilisation is OK etc etc. Until the cows come home.

It seems to have some advantages, and while you were doing it to DNS, and planning a big server move, it seemed a good time to ask about the issue again :-)

But it is not a big deal for me. Maintaining uptime and security as you upgrade the servers, and ease of any migration to the the new systems, are my main concerns.

Comment

• -Oz-
        • Mar 2004

this is indeed very good news. can't wait to play with php5
        Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Andy
          • Mar 2004

I wanted to look up whats Fantastico De Lux w/ Template Express has to offer, but I can not seem to find their webpage. Anyone know their official website address?

thanks...
          Andy

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

Fantastico De Lux
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by flarf
              DNS servers on different class C subnets is all well and good, but are they still going to run on the same box? Or a different box consequently connected to different network hardware etc.?

This is going to be awesome.
              The DNS will be on the same server still. The only thing that is changing is that the IPs are in different class C's so that there are no more problems with certain foreign domain registrars. With shared hosting there just is no real need to have seperate nameservers elsewhere, if the server is down everything will still be down. If anyone wants to discuss this further, please create a new thread.
              Last edited by AndrewT; 01-23-2006, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cathode
                Andrew, this is awesome stuff, also I'm pumped about client exec. I will be jumping on that.

More on the custom nameservers - Will we be informed once the move happens, so that we can quickly go in and change the IP of these custom nameservers?

Is there a potential of downtime for these nameservers if the move happens and we don't know about it, because they point to the old IP's?

Will you post a message or announcement before each server gets moved?

Thanks!
                All information, including new nameserver IPs will be posted before the transfers even take place (at least 48 hours in advance). We will likely send out e-mails to all customers on the server as well to ensure that everyone is notified in advance. If you have used the previous IPs and do not change them it will result in downtime when the old server is eventually taken offline entirely.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by samsam
                  Hi Andrew.

Thanks for the extra info.

Sorry about the confusion here. Yep, I guess clustering it is.

I was referring to an architecture where it was possible to have each cPanel server (cpanel32, 33 34 etc) call just a couple of separate stand-alone Dathorn SMTP mail (and perhaps SQL) servers, rather than each cpanel server having to run its own SMTP service, SQL service etc etc as happens now and which always seemed rather in-efficient to me. Conceptually it is identical to what you are proposing to do with DNS.

It was a notion tossed around on these forums last year:
                  Hi: I was wondering how flexible cPanel and WHM were in running all the services they needed to run. This train of thought was prompted by the continuing discussion of performance issues in these forums - how many users can a Dathorn account support, how much resource utilisation is OK etc etc. Until the cows come home.

It seems to have some advantages, and while you were doing it to DNS, and planning a big server move, it seemed a good time to ask about the issue again :-)

But it is not a big deal for me. Maintaining uptime and security as you upgrade the servers, and ease of any migration to the the new systems, are my main concerns.
                  Please read my post above regarding the DNS. The only reason it has changed is to meet requirements of certain foreign domain registrars.

That setup is not entirely feasible in mass shared hosting nor is it possible with cPanel. I wouldn't want thousands or even hundreds of customers depending on a single server for e-mail, for example. If there was a problem, I'd much rather it affect 60 customers instead of at least a couple hundred.

Yes, it is a better use of server resources, it's just not even an option right now.

Comment

• crash resistant
                    • Jun 2004

faster drives = less load

wooot!!!

I love dathorn.

Comment

• maskeret
                      • Mar 2004

I have some websites on Cpanel10.
                      I'm using Dathorn's nameserver, i.e. DNS19.GZO.COM and DNS20.GZO.COM.
                      I have to change something? Or these nameserver will be ok?
                      ----------------------------
                      Maurizio Mascheroni - Italy
                      http://www.dreamchess.com

Comment

• attila
                        • Mar 2005

ClientExec

When should we expect ClientExec?

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by maskeret
                          I have some websites on Cpanel10.
                          I'm using Dathorn's nameserver, i.e. DNS19.GZO.COM and DNS20.GZO.COM.
                          I have to change something? Or these nameserver will be ok?
                          You will be able to use those nameservers so long as your registrar never had you input the nameserver IP addresses as well.

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by attila
                            When should we expect ClientExec?
                            Everything was worked out lastnight actually, no more than 2-3 weeks from now.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                              • Mar 2004

Just to make sure I'm understanding this ...

I use custom nameservers. As long as the custom nameserver is given at my registrar, but NOT the physical IP address, the domain will still resolve. So I can tell my customers to simply remove the IP address numbers, and leave the custom nameservers, right?

When I set up my account, I also applied for and was given a unique IP address (for planned use of SSL). My custom nameservers are linked to that custom IP address. Will that IP address be pointed to the new server automatically, or is there something else I need to do? I will still need to maintain that unique IP, or another one, for secure transactions, right?

Comment

• AndrewT
                                Administrator
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                                Just to make sure I'm understanding this ...

I use custom nameservers. As long as the custom nameserver is given at my registrar, but NOT the physical IP address, the domain will still resolve. So I can tell my customers to simply remove the IP address numbers, and leave the custom nameservers, right?

When I set up my account, I also applied for and was given a unique IP address (for planned use of SSL). My custom nameservers are linked to that custom IP address. Will that IP address be pointed to the new server automatically, or is there something else I need to do? I will still need to maintain that unique IP, or another one, for secure transactions, right?
                                When creating custom nameservers you always have to specify an IP, you will have to change those. But users using the custom nameservers should not have to change anything unless their registrar requests IPs when adding nameservers for a domain to use, although very few registrars do this now.

All those with dedicated IPs will be given new IPs.

Comment

Working...