Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaCurryman
    • Mar 2004

E-Mail Listserves Setup

I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to set-up a listserv on my domain. Basically, I'm setting up this group and I want to add people's names to the list so that I can basically have two listserves. I want one where only I can e-mail out stuff (like admin stuff) and another addy where they can e-mail each other, so I would need two addy's (i.e. list1@mydomain.com for admin e-mails to group and list2@mydomain.com for convos between the group). I'd also like to have personal subject leads. So if someone sends an e-mail w/ subject "Hello All" everyone will receive a message with subject like "[title] Hello All" making it easy for people to set-up mail filters on their end and identify the messages.

If anyone can help me with this, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
  • -Oz-
    • Mar 2004

I have no idea how to help you, but I will warn you that people have been suspnded for having mailing lists that were so big it used a lot of CPU power, andrew will have to tell you whether this is a good idea or not.
    Dan Blomberg

Comment

• piku
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
      I have no idea how to help you, but I will warn you that people have been suspnded for having mailing lists that were so big it used a lot of CPU power, andrew will have to tell you whether this is a good idea or not.
      if its just for a small group of people i'm pretty sure its ok. but anyways, mailman setup is pretty easy on what you want to accomplish...

-login to your cpanel account of the domain you wish to use
      -EMAILS
      -MAILING LISTS
      -ADD MAILING LIST
      -enter LIST NAME and PASSWORD (for admin), pick the domain/subdomain of the account
      -click CREATE
      -go back to main MAILING LIST page
      -EDIT the mailing list you just created
      -LOGIN using the password you created

mailman is setup by default as a TWO-WAY mailing list, aka. a listserv. i think there's an option so that you can only make it ONE-WAY where you can only send the list emails. or it could just be PRIVACY OPTIONS.

HTH
      my signature was deleted. i miss my signature-filled-with-helpful-dathorn-links *sniff*sniff*

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

Mailman will work either as a listserv, or as an "announcement only" list where any responses go back to the author rather than to the list itself. The options are pretty clear as you go through the configuration screens.

Comment

• DaCurryman
          • Mar 2004

Wow...thanks for the responses. I'm going to try that out.

As for the CPU concerns, I don't think it will be a problem...the list will only have like 12-15 people on it I think.

Also, does Mailman have the ability to do the subject header I was looking to do?

Comment

• Frank Hagan
            • Mar 2004

Yep, you specify the name of the mailing list, and it prepends that name in square brackets to the subject line:

[Mylist] Important Announcement

That's what it looks like.

Comment

• DaCurryman
              • Mar 2004

I'm having trouble finding the option to make it announcement only.

Also, I want it to be where the users cannot subscribe. Only I can add them or change their e-mail addy. Can people help me do this?

Comment

• man4life
                • Apr 2004

list.org

Check out http://www.list.org/docs.html for help with Mailman.

Comment

Working...