Thread: E-Mail Listserves Setup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question E-Mail Listserves Setup

I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to set-up a listserv on my domain. Basically, I'm setting up this group and I want to add people's names to the list so that I can basically have two listserves. I want one where only I can e-mail out stuff (like admin stuff) and another addy where they can e-mail each other, so I would need two addy's (i.e. list1@mydomain.com for admin e-mails to group and list2@mydomain.com for convos between the group). I'd also like to have personal subject leads. So if someone sends an e-mail w/ subject "Hello All" everyone will receive a message with subject like "[title] Hello All" making it easy for people to set-up mail filters on their end and identify the messages.

If anyone can help me with this, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I have no idea how to help you, but I will warn you that people have been suspnded for having mailing lists that were so big it used a lot of CPU power, andrew will have to tell you whether this is a good idea or not.
    Dan Blomberg

Quote Originally Posted by -Oz-
    I have no idea how to help you, but I will warn you that people have been suspnded for having mailing lists that were so big it used a lot of CPU power, andrew will have to tell you whether this is a good idea or not.
    if its just for a small group of people i'm pretty sure its ok. but anyways, mailman setup is pretty easy on what you want to accomplish...

-login to your cpanel account of the domain you wish to use
    -EMAILS
    -MAILING LISTS
    -ADD MAILING LIST
    -enter LIST NAME and PASSWORD (for admin), pick the domain/subdomain of the account
    -click CREATE
    -go back to main MAILING LIST page
    -EDIT the mailing list you just created
    -LOGIN using the password you created

mailman is setup by default as a TWO-WAY mailing list, aka. a listserv. i think there's an option so that you can only make it ONE-WAY where you can only send the list emails. or it could just be PRIVACY OPTIONS.

HTH
    my signature was deleted. i miss my signature-filled-with-helpful-dathorn-links *sniff*sniff*

Mailman will work either as a listserv, or as an "announcement only" list where any responses go back to the author rather than to the list itself. The options are pretty clear as you go through the configuration screens.

Wow...thanks for the responses. I'm going to try that out.

As for the CPU concerns, I don't think it will be a problem...the list will only have like 12-15 people on it I think.

Also, does Mailman have the ability to do the subject header I was looking to do?

Yep, you specify the name of the mailing list, and it prepends that name in square brackets to the subject line:

[Mylist] Important Announcement

That's what it looks like.

Thread Information