Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhills
    • Mar 2004

FTP download

I'm setting up a domain for a photographer friend. He wants to allow clients to go in and download photos. These would be large .jpg or .tiff files, probaby from 5 to 20 megs apiece. I wish to make this as safe and secure as possible for the server, my account, and his domain. But I have no experience with public ftp. My plan is below. Does it seem reasonable? Or is there a better way?

I would use cpanel to create an anonymous ftp directory (http://domain.com/photodownload/). Then I would password protect that particular directory. Then his clients could enter the password to get into that directory, and download from that directory only.

Does this make sense? And would that keep his clients out of all other areas except where they should not be?
    Last edited by bhills; 02-15-2006, 03:55 PM.
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bhills
    I'm setting up a domain for a photographer friend. He wants to allow clients to go in and download photos. These would be large .jpg or .tiff files, probaby from 5 to 20 megs apiece. I wish to make this as safe and secure as possible for the server, my account, and his domain. But I have no experience with public ftp. My plan is below. Does it seem reasonable? Or is there a better way?

I would use cpanel to create an anonymous ftp directory (http://domain.com/photodownload/). Then I would password protect that particular directory. Then his clients could enter the password to get into that directory, and download from that directory only.

Does this make sense? And would that keep his clients out of all other areas except where they should not be?
    You might look at something like OSCommerce or some of the other free php based shopping carts ... don't some of them have password protected download routines? He would only have to set it up once, and could leave the image there for a while, rather than having to configure it for each customer.

Comment

Working...