X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -Oz-
    • Mar 2004

Hahaha, digg ruined a site on dathorn

So I was browsing digg and wanted to read a story on Ajax tabs:

Turns on the site is hosted here on dathorn on cpanel4. I just found that really funny. Guess I better watch it if one of my sites gets slashdotted or digged.
    Dan Blomberg
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

The contest they were running probably helped sink them more than digg.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• -Oz-
      • Mar 2004

what contest?
      Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

Contest was to see who could generate the most referral traffic to the site. What a brilliant idea! Sort of like whacking your thumb with a hammer, except you not only whack your thumb, you also whack the thumb of couple hundred other people on your server too. 405+ domains on cpanel04.
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• -Oz-
          • Mar 2004

hah, thats kinda funny, wonder if it got suspended for resources or for running out of bandwidth. Glad I'm not on 04.
          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• ph23man
            • Mar 2004

I actually just found the site recently (not through digg) and thought it had some pretty informative material. Visited again today and it was suspended but I was amused to find it's hosted on the same server as I am. Hope they get things resolved and the site back up.

Comment

• -Oz-
              • Mar 2004

yeah, i really want to see the site.
              Dan Blomberg

Comment

• cathode
                • Oct 2004

Eyyouch... looks like they moved hosts too, saying something about "bad hosting experience..." I assume that's because they got suspended.

I stand in perpetual fear of that happening to me.

Comment

• cathode
                  • Oct 2004

Hey everyone, we are back. I know it seems dodgy that we are up and down like a yo-yo but this time we are back for good. We have had a very rough time with our previous host. The only response we got from them is that we were permanently banned and the reason was that we were taking up too much of their system resourses which I’m guessing the same reason as the first downtime. It also took them three days to return our files which is unacceptable.

Anyways we are back (for good) and will continue to deliver Ajax tutorials as well as news and information surrounding the Ajax/Web 2.0.

I’m sure that we lost a big part of our audience but we hope you guys will return and continue to enjoy our site. Thanks for sticking around, we promise to make this an awesome community.

P.S. We are still working on getting the Discussion Board back up.

Comment

• -Oz-
                    • Mar 2004

yeah, i saw that. They did seem pissed that they couldn't get to their data (i kinda agree on that). But i guess thats what it takes for the rest of our sites to stay up.
                    Dan Blomberg

Comment

• cathode
                      • Oct 2004

Agreed... I would like my data quickly, especially if I were being canned from Dathorn.

I guess that answers the question as to what these servers can (or can't) handle.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
                        yeah, i saw that. They did seem pissed that they couldn't get to their data (i kinda agree on that). But i guess thats what it takes for the rest of our sites to stay up.
                        Wonder if they actually ran their own backups or not?
                        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cathode
                          I guess that answers the question as to what these servers can (or can't) handle.
                          Or, better yet, what a shared hosting environment can and cannot tolerate. I don't think many customers would like it if their own sites/services were extremely slow because of another customer.

3 days to give them a backup of their account is absurd misinformation as well but that's as much as I'm going to disclose.

Comment

• cathode
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
                            Or, better yet, what a shared hosting environment can and cannot tolerate. I don't think many customers would like it if their own sites/services were extremely slow because of another customer.

3 days to give them a backup of their account is absurd misinformation as well but that's as much as I'm going to disclose.
                            Thanks for clearing that up...

May I ask for an "emergency process" if that should ever happen to one of us- like what to do, what steps to take, etc. Sort of an "emergency kit" of sorts?

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cathode
                              May I ask for an "emergency process" if that should ever happen to one of us- like what to do, what steps to take, etc. Sort of an "emergency kit" of sorts?
                              I really do not understand what you are asking for at all. Please clarify. The bottom line is that this particular site was just not suited to a shared hosting environment at all, it needed to be moved. Most issues we can resolve without having to do this.

Comment

Working...