Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -Oz-
    • Mar 2004

What is a core file?

I have a website that keeps creating these weird 3mb core files. This is bad because i only gave it 10mb of space so it keeps killing itself.

The files are called:
    core.12241
    core.12782
    core.15571
    core.17877

Anyone else have these or know what is going on.

Odd things I have running: a function that updates php files
    a script that runs every 3 minutes to make sure everything is working.
    Dan Blomberg
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Core dump file, something crashed probably in whatever account you found them in. Only ever found one, it was after an server upgrade. They're not something you want to find in an account and more than one is bad.
    Last edited by Buddha; 02-20-2006, 09:30 PM.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• -Oz-
      • Mar 2004

any ideas on what may be causing it or should i ask support to look into it?
      Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

No idea what so ever. I've never had but one .... thankfully.
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• -Oz-
          • Mar 2004

support it is...
          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Pedja
            • Mar 2004

I got similar problem few days ago. I messed up something with SMF froum and ended up with lot of core.nnnnn files. Looked cntents of the files and forund out some links to ZEND.

When I dealt with forum crashes, no more core.* files occured

Comment

• sdjl
              • Mar 2004

I had a major problem with two of my sites on my VPS. One account created about 400megs worth of core files, which put it over its limit very quickly!
              It's to do with PHPSuExec, this is what my VPS support had to say:
              Yes, When you see core dumps it means that apache failed perfoming some PHP(HTML) files. It's a serious issue and you need to review your scripts and resolve the issue in your script as soon as possible. Apache and php were compiled correctly and don't have any issues. It's a scripting issue and belongs to php code.
              I also had premature end of script headers in my error_log file which means the permissions weren't quite correct.

Changing the permissions on all the files for those two domains sorted out my problem.

David
              -----
              Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• -Oz-
                • Mar 2004

yeah, this site is one where i didn't write most of the scripts. I'll try and get my maintance script to run more often and maybe this weekend I can rewrite the scripts so that I'm sure they work.

Note: I have no error log so its not an obvious problem with my script (grr).
                Dan Blomberg

Comment

• sdjl
                  • Mar 2004

Doesn't cPanels error log give you any information? That's where i found my problems

David
                  -----
                  Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• -Oz-
                    • Mar 2004

hadn't thought of looking there, i was looking for php errors. Right now its all 404 errors and favico missing errors. I'll watch it closely. Thanks David.
                    Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Buddha
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
                      hadn't thought of looking there, i was looking for php errors. Right now its all 404 errors and favico missing errors. I'll watch it closely. Thanks David.
                      Don't forget Andrew's niffty error_log files. The core file date probably help narrow it down too.

Comment

Working...