Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earth-friendly
    • Jan 2006

People are sending email spams using my domain name

I am in the process of moving a domain to the dathorn servers, but I'm not quite ready yet.
    In the meantime, I've starting getting a number of bounced emails to this domain. People are apparently sending out spam, and somehow using a generated email address associated with my domain name as the originator of the spam emails. Then when some of these emails bounce, I get the bounced emails coming back to me.

For example, I get bounced notices coming to ttwnhw@<mydomainname>,
    hqazew@<mydomainname>, etc. I don't know if people are just putting these bogus email addresses as the Reply-To, or if they are somehow hacking into the server and sending out these bogus emails.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?
    I put in a trouble ticket with this other webhosting company, but they do not always resolve things in a timely manner, which is one of the reasons I'm moving to Dathorn.
    I'd like to resolve this issue before moving to Dathorn, so I don't cause any problems on the Dathorn servers. I don't want to get penalized for sending spam, since I'm not sending it, but I don't know if there's any way to stop it from happening.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • sdjl
    • Mar 2004

It sounds like a spammer falsifying information in order to try and work around spam filters.
    If you have access to your email logs, you can grep them to find if any spam has been sent out through your domain.

David
    -----
    Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by earth-friendly
      I am in the process of moving a domain to the dathorn servers, but I'm not quite ready yet.
      In the meantime, I've starting getting a number of bounced emails to this domain. People are apparently sending out spam, and somehow using a generated email address associated with my domain name as the originator of the spam emails. Then when some of these emails bounce, I get the bounced emails coming back to me.

For example, I get bounced notices coming to ttwnhw@<mydomainname>,
      hqazew@<mydomainname>, etc. I don't know if people are just putting these bogus email addresses as the Reply-To, or if they are somehow hacking into the server and sending out these bogus emails.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?
      I put in a trouble ticket with this other webhosting company, but they do not always resolve things in a timely manner, which is one of the reasons I'm moving to Dathorn.
      I'd like to resolve this issue before moving to Dathorn, so I don't cause any problems on the Dathorn servers. I don't want to get penalized for sending spam, since I'm not sending it, but I don't know if there's any way to stop it from happening.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      This is very common. Spammers "spoof" the return email address so they don't get the bounces. The only thing you can do is to send any unrouted mail to :blackhole: in your Cpanel configuration so you don't see them.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

This is becomming more and more common unfortunately. We've been getting a ton of bounced spam sent from spoofed dathorn.com address lately and it really is a pain to go through and report it to each provider/datacenter/etc. It's even more of a problem when people respond thinking that it's actually us doing the spamming...

Comment

• earth-friendly
          • Jan 2006

Thanks everyone for the responses.

So, do I need to worry about letting all the datacenters know that these were not legitimate emails that were sent? And if so, how would I find the email addresses for the datacenters? Is there a concern that my domain would get blacklisted by all these providers?
          Or, is that something that my webhosting company would do (soon to be Dathorn)?

Can I just have all these email go to :blackhole:, like Frank suggested?

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

I would forward them as Frank suggested. Unless you really want to spend the time reporting the spammers, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Often they are picked up and disabled quickly anyways and just move on to a new server. Most, if not all, intelligent blacklists block by the sending server's IP, not by a FROM domain, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Working...