• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

Electrical Wiring question

OK so I finally got a car But parents are having me hold off on the
    license part til their ready to switch insurance companies. I figured
    I might as well take the time to do minor improvements on it while waiting.

Anywhose the previous owner put in a set of L.E.D. windshield washer
    nozzles but didn't wire them up. I want to add a switch so I can turn
    it off while driving (just have 'em on for show in the parking lot / whatever).
    I am thinking I take the ground wire and hook it up to either the negative
    terminol (sp?) of the battery OR the body frame of the car. Then the positive
    to the toggle switch and from there to the battery. Would it work or no?
    If it did work - having it OFF it would not drain my battery or anything right?

Heh I guess I should've payed attention to dad while we worked on the
    lights/wiring on the boat. Oh well. BTW - Dathorn still is awesome
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
    I am thinking I take the ground wire and hook it up to either the negative terminol (sp?) of the battery OR the body frame of the car. Then the positive to the toggle switch and from there to the battery.
    Prob negative terminal. Check what voltage the LEDs are expecting - they will probably need some kind of resistor if there isn't one built in to the washer fitting.

Originally posted by Jonathan
    If it did work - having it OFF it would not drain my battery or anything right?
    Correct

What car did you get?

Comment

• sdjl
      • Mar 2004

Seeing as they're car LED lights, i'm sure they run on the right voltage (AC or DC). They may even have a resistor in them, ready for connection to the battery.
      -----
      Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

Congrats on the car!
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Jonathan
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Elite
          Prob negative terminal. Check what voltage the LEDs are expecting - they will probably need some kind of resistor if there isn't one built in to the washer fitting.

Correct

What car did you get?
          2000 Hyundai Tiburon Anywhose I think I fried one of the LED
          lights....um and comparing it to my friend's its friggin so different.
          Like four wires vs. the usual two (pos/neg). So I am just gonna replace them.
          Also we finally wired in my 15" interior neon, fixed a spot on the back bumper
          that needed painting over (looks great!) and soon will be fixing the scratchs
          and maybe the dings too; still holding for putting in a new pair of 6x9 speakers
          and under-car LED lights. We spent 2hrs (at least) trying to install the LEDs
          and only got two friggin holes in the damn car. So we're waiting for our coworker
          Byran who is gonna install the speakers to also do the lights since he has experience doing it.

Oh and 0-60 it kinda lags; but 60-100 it picks up. Sucks that its a automatic....
          Last edited by Jonathan; 05-21-2006, 11:21 PM.
          - C

Comment

• -Oz-
            • Mar 2004

Definitely keep doing it yourself Jonathan, its a lot more fun that way. I do all my own car work including speakers, lights, etc. Its more fun to experiment. 2hrs for a project isn't too long...
            Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2004

2hrs is long considering we didn't even get them installed.
              I ended up screwing up today on my wiring...the passenger parking light
              wiring. I couldn't fix it. Thank God my friend was on the way back from
              Daytona so he stopped back and fixed it within a couple of hours.
              - C

Comment

Working...