Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msalo
    • Jun 2005

DNS Wierdness!

Here's the story. I have a reseller account, with 5 domains hosted. For the longest time I have had issues with name resolution off and on. This effected all domains on the account, but not necessarily at the same time. There are times when a domain or 2 on the account are inaccessible. I check to make sure the server is up (they are all on the same box), and it is. Other domains on my account are working. So I take the affected domains, and add manual entries into my hosts file, and boom, they are accessible. Then I take the host entries out, and usually it continues working, It's almost like the DNS server had a memory lapse and just forgot about a few domains until my host entry forced me into that site and reminded the DNS server that "Hey, that's right, we do know about that domain!!".

Finally, after some frustration, I decided to go to a DNS host (not to be named), and purchase a DNS hosting account for my primary domain name. Since then I have not had a single issue with availability on the primary domain. But I continue to have intermittant issues with my other domains on the account. And as usual, if I add the www.domain.??? to my hosts file pointing to the IP, it works fine, and seems to wake it up for everyone to see.

My question is, what in the world is causing this? And why would forcing a connection with my hosts file wake it up and make it normal again? I really don't want to have to pay a bunch more to host DNS for my domains elsewhere, that wouldn't make much sense.

Anyone else having this problem, or notice this problem?

Thanks!

-Matt
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Please submit a trouble ticket with the domain names in question so that I can double check them.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

I had a number of problems under a firewall at work that was caching DNS entries. Windows can do that too, and it stupidly keeps its results for 24 hours, even though most ISPs are now updating their entries every 4 hours or more. Try Start*Run and then type "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt to flush the cache.

Windows stores the latest attempt in the DNS cache, even if you couldn't reach the site for some reason. I think the default is supposed to be that it rechecks after 24 hours, but I had problems with my old system where I knew the cache was not being updated.

If typing "ipconfig /flushdns" works at the command line, you can hack the registry to keep Windows from saving "negative" results and automatically giving your the "site not found" page without even checking. Stupid Windows.

See http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html for instructions on the registry hack.

Comment

Working...