Is it possible to have an admin delete a folder from my server?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNPx
    • Feb 2006

Is it possible to have an admin delete a folder from my server?

Well that is exactly a last resort - but here's the problem: I have a folder on my server right now that is taking up a lot of room and I don't need it. I managed to delete a lot of it via ftp but a lot of the image files have a / in them because there was an apostrophe in the title of the image when I uploaded it (e.g. mike's_image - which ends up being displayed as mike/s_image). These images won't delete for me - it says I don't have access to them or something along those lines.

Is there any way that I can delete these images myself, if not, is it possible to contact support to have the entire folder deleted? It's about 450MB or so - only a small portion have the "/" problem but they're all mixed together so it takes me hours to just delete a few hundred of the thousands of images on there.

Is this perhaps just an FTP issue? Should I be deleting them elsewhere?

Thanks for any help
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

You can submit a trouble ticket with the full path of the folder and we can delete it for you very easily.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

In this case, with so many of them, submit a trouble ticket and take Andrew up on his offer of doing it for you.

But, if you are faced with this again, you can always substitute the wildcard character "?" for the illegal character when issuing the "RM" command in the shell:

rm mike?s_image

Will remove a file named "mike/s_image"

You do have to be careful, because it would also remove "mikeys_image" if it exists on disk.

Comment

• PNPx
        • Feb 2006

Great, will do, Andrew.

And thanks for the tip, Frank Hagan - I'll remember that for the future.

Comment

• Pedja
          • Mar 2004

If you get in using SSH, you should be able to delete everything you want.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
            If you get in using SSH, you should be able to delete everything you want.
            I haven't tested this under Linux, but sometimes the command line will not let you use an illegal character in the command ... even though the filename has an illegal character. Using the wildcard ... "?" in both Linux and DOS/Windows Shell .... for that illegal character works in these cases.

Comment

Working...