Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Akairenn
    • Jul 2006

Postgres?

Greetings! Does Dathorn offer Postgres at all, or just MySQL? PG's a necessity.. Though I don't see it listed in the hosting plans, I thought I'd ask first before looking elsewhere - from everything I've read, you guys rock.
  • james
    • Mar 2004

According to this thread, the answer is unfortunately no.

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

James is correct, we have no plans to offer a second SQL service at this time.

Comment

• salmon
        • Nov 2006

I am agree with Akairenn, Postgress is a necessity. Some of my applications, my sql is not sufficient and efficient. I need a greater database. Additionally, I don't want to change my hosting firm; i am glad to dathorn's service. My suggestion is, open a new server which has postgress support. Who want to use postgress should buy new accounts from there.

If you open a new server for postgress, I can assure you that i am the first customer

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

The problem is that we haven't gotten more than a handful of requests for Postgres. Unless there is a great deal of interest in it we just cannot justify offering it. You can certainly get a dedicated server through us and use Postgres that way, however.

Comment

• ergo
            • Feb 2006

Mr Andrew, think about it other way ;-)

Some customers ( like me ) left by lack of Postgresql, we just need it to have more serious/faster solutions. Postgresql 8.x is faster than mysql4/5 ;-)

A quality host that offers Postgresql is a real rarity (im at dotable now ), and recently they introduces postgres 8 to their servers.

Keep in mind that some of us are software developers when we sell an app based on postgres to customer we can recommend dathorn as a good hosting platform that would suit our app very good.

So it eventually would generate more customers interested in postgres :]

http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinlulek - my linkedIn profile - please check out
            Freelance professional webdeveloper for hire - XHTML, CSS2, PHP 5 , SOON PYTHON, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Ajax & Javascript [ using yahooUI and dojotoolkit for ajax work ], database performance optimisation, security audits. - contact me , get work done the way it should be.

Comment

• SeanCustomer
              • Jun 2006

Yes for postgresql

Another voice wanting Postgresql please.

Comment

• Pedja
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
                The problem is that we haven't gotten more than a handful of requests for Postgres. Unless there is a great deal of interest in it we just cannot justify offering it.
                That is because people see that Postgres is not supported and they just leave.

I would also like to have it. There are some applications it is much better choice.

Comment

Working...