Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sixfortyfive
    • Apr 2004

SSL and E-mail

Sorry if these questions seem really basic, I did a Google search and couldn't find the answers.

1) When using IMAP, is it a good idea to use SSL? Meaning, does it really secure your e-mail?

2) When using Dathorn and SSL e-mail, I found that both Thunderbird and Apple Mail prompt you when you open the program. It says that there is a problem with the certificate, a possible mismatch with the server and certificate. Is there any way to avoid this?

I'm trying to figure out if I should use (and reccommend) using SSL with IMAP on Dathorn servers, and just put up with the prompts every time I open the e-mail program.
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sixfortyfive
    Sorry if these questions seem really basic, I did a Google search and couldn't find the answers.

1) When using IMAP, is it a good idea to use SSL? Meaning, does it really secure your e-mail?
    You can do - it means your username/password and messages won't be passed over the internet in plain text

Originally posted by sixfortyfive
    2) When using Dathorn and SSL e-mail, I found that both Thunderbird and Apple Mail prompt you when you open the program. It says that there is a problem with the certificate, a possible mismatch with the server and certificate. Is there any way to avoid this?
    I assume this is because the certificate is matched to the server (gzoxx.com) and not the domain you are accessing it from. You can use your own certificate to avoid this.

I don't use SSL, but then I don't have anything that important/confidential in my email

Comment

• paradiselost
      • Apr 2004

Just in case anyone else is having this issue with a security warning showing up when you open or send mail using ssl. You don't need to get your own cert (but that would work). Just change your IMAP and SMTP host to the one listed in the security warning. It should be in this format: cpanel##.gzo.com. You won't get any warnings if you use the same host as what is on the certificate.

James
      --
      ** DEVTRENCH **
      --
      James Ehly

Comment

Working...