Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Aliases from other domains will work just fine as in your example.

Comment

• ChrisTech
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Klaassh
      Andrew, Bear with me.
      2 domains hosted on the same dathorn account, as these are using the same email server can an address from one domain be set up as an alias for the other domain?

eg:
      main email = webmaster@domain1
      Alias email = someone@domain2

I am not interested in setting up other customers on the one account, they can pay for their own. But paying for one postini and having my home's 4 email addresses (from 2 domains) filtered by that single postini account would be great.
      Ohh, I might have to look into that...that would "fix" the one email issue nicely.
      Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Ben
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
        Aliases from other domains will work just fine as in your example.
        How do you create an alias from another domain?

Ben

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

An alias is just a simple forwarder that can be setup in cPanel. We must also configure these in Postini as well.

Comment

• Ben
            • Mar 2004

An alias is just a simple forwarder that can be setup in cPanel. We must also configure these in Postini as well.
            cPanel only lets you set up forwarders for email addresses on the domain itself, sub-domains or parked domains, not independent domains...

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

You can create a forwarder in cPanel for one domain to forward to an e-mail address on another domain.

Comment

• chrisd
                • Mar 2004

Just to be clear, the mail is inspected before it hits the domain right?

On one of my domains I have a ton of cpanel forwarders -- basically redirecting out to members' personal mailboxes (hotmail, yahoo, shaw, etc.)

Historically this has been a problem because spamassassin or the regular cpanels filters would never see it.

...Chris

Comment

• chrisd
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chrisd
                  On one of my domains I have a ton of cpanel forwarders --
                  After reading the entire thread -- nevermind.

Comment

• KyleC
                    • Mar 2004

I am putting together a FAQ about Postini as i just setup my first account, and had lots of questions of my own on the setup and how it worked.

please check it out, let me know if you think i should add anything or clear anything up. http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread...3670#post13670

i appreciate any additional Q&A's just reply with them here or PM me.

thanks.
                    -Kyle

Comment

• cathode
                      • Oct 2004

OK, please bear with another question

I am not clear on how the emails and email aliases come into play.

Let me run through an example. Let's say I have a client with 5 separate employees - they each have their own email address that is being filled with spam on a daily basis. employee1@domain.com employee2@domain.com employee3@domain.com, etc.

How would Postini do this? Would I need to sign up for five Postini accounts- one for each employee? My understanding of email aliases suggests to me that one Postini account could collect the messages from 5 seperate accounts - but what good would that do when all of these filtered results came through into one final email box?

I am probably misunderstanding this, I appreciate any clarification

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Essentially a single Postini account can filter 6 addresses. The 'catch' is that the spam that is caught from all 6 addresses will only be accessible via the one Postini login.

Comment

• cathode
                          • Oct 2004

Essentially a single Postini account can filter 6 addresses. The 'catch' is that the spam that is caught from all 6 addresses will only be accessible via the one Postini login.
                          Gotcha, thanks. I think that is quite acceptable.

Comment

• cathode
                            • Oct 2004

Andrew, I had a client ask me if they could try it out for a month and cancel if it doesn't perform well. If they decide they don't want it, could I change the Postini account setup to use other email addresses, or would it be locked in to some initial setup?

thanks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

We can change the e-mail addresses that you want filtered at any time.

Comment

• Ben
                                • Mar 2004

A client has asked me about additional filtering and I think Postini is the solution but before I offer it to him can I just confirm that my understanding is correct?

They have 5 pop3 accounts on a single domain, no forwarders. Am I correct in thinking that all 5 accounts can be filtered through a single Postini account but that there is only one Postini logon to check filtered email?

If the MX records for the domain are changed to point to the Postini server, I assume that all email for the domain flows through the Postini server regardless of whether it's filtered or not?

In one of your posts Andrew you quoted -

"The Catchall feature enables administrators to set up spam and virus filtering for an entire domain without needing to create message center accounts on the Postini service. This feature can be useful in providing protection during the short time between creating an email address on the email server and creating a corresponding message center account in the Postini service."
                                Does this not mean that an entire domain can be filtered without the need to set up individual accounts?

Thanks,
                                Ben

Comment

Working...