Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

You can filter up to 6 addresses on a single Postini account. Though you need to keep in mind that all spam caught for these addresses will only be accessible via a single Postini account login.

The MX records for the domain are pointed to Postini and it will filter the e-mail addresses that are setup to be filtered. All other addresses will be forwarded on transparently.

There is no way to filter an entire domain. Addresses must be specifically entered and paid for.

Comment

• ph23man
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
      Essentially a single Postini account can filter 6 addresses. The 'catch' is that the spam that is caught from all 6 addresses will only be accessible via the one Postini login.
      After reading the original announcement thread, FAQ, and this thread - the quoted reply to cathode's inquiry seems to differ from previous statements. Before it was always mentioned that 1 Postini account could filter 1 email account and 5 additional aliases/forwarders but the reply above in relation to cathode's inquiry implies that 6 distinct email accounts can be filtered.

I'm sorry it must feel like people ask the same thing over and over but the differing terminology gets confusing. While cathode referred to individual email accounts on 1 domain, my inquiry is: Would I be able to filter 6 different email accounts from separate domains (not aliases/forwarders)? For example, email@domain.com, email@someotherdomain.com, email@anotherdomain.com, etc.)? I do understand that it would all be managed through one Postini account.

Thanks in advance for clarification on this issue.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ph23man
        Would I be able to filter 6 different email accounts from separate domains (not aliases/forwarders)?
        Yes.

Whether it is a forwarder, alias, e-mail account - whatever, it doesn't matter. 1 e-mail address is the main Postini login which is filtered and then 5 more can be added to it for a total of 6. Keep in mind that if the domain's DNS is not hosted on our servers you will have to change the MX records for it.

Comment

• bhills
          • Mar 2004

Is this possible

Just to double-check. I think this is saying that all email addresses forwarded must be signed up in Postini in order to spam to be removed. For example, I have 20 email addresses from several domains, and all are forwarded to one email address - me@mydomain.com. One Postini account would only cover the main master email address (me@mydomain.com) and five of the email addresses that are forwarded. 15 of the forwarded email addresses would be passed through postini without catching spam. Am I understanding this correctly?

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

You are correct.

Comment

• mystic
              • Nov 2006

I guess questions on this issue will not die soon

Originally posted by AndrewT
              Yes.

Whether it is a forwarder, alias, e-mail account - whatever, it doesn't matter. 1 e-mail address is the main Postini login which is filtered and then 5 more can be added to it for a total of 6. Keep in mind that if the domain's DNS is not hosted on our servers you will have to change the MX records for it.
              You state in http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread.php?t=2463

The email is routed through Postini servers, filtered and then sent back to your server.
              Does this mean that emails sent to the five extra addresses, once filtered by Postini servers, will be sent to the main account?

I have, say, 6 email addresses for my family members (checked by different individuals) that I wish to filter using Postini. Can I use just one positini account to do this?

Also, do I get to see the details of the filtered emails so that if for some reason a legit email was blocked, it can be whitelisted? Or better still, can a filtered email be retrieved if needed?

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

The way in which the addresses are delivered will not change. If they are all separate e-mail accounts then they will be delivered as such. So to answer your question, yes you could use one Postini account in your example.

You can login to the Postini message center to see e-mails that have been quarantined at which point you can deliver them and whitelist the sender if necessary.

Comment

• neorder
                  • Mar 2004

i don't know but i setup email forwarders to my own gmail account, and gmail does fantastic job, it filters more than 15k spam message for me each month.

finally, it's free.

remember google bought over postini right? it must same technology behind i believe.

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

While that would certainly work, it serves an entirely different purpose. While Google did buy Postini, the technologies are not the same at all.

Comment

• ShannonPratt
                      • Apr 2005

Did something change in regards to the additional email addresses/alias available? When trying to add additional email addresses on a second domain I host at dathorn it is telling me that I can only add addresses from the same domain.

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Please submit a ticket for support and provide specific details.

Comment

• DaCurryman
                          • Mar 2004

So I've read through this thread and I'm trying to determine the difference between the service being offered by Dathorn and the following service from Google, which is $3/user/year:

The Google service is also through filtered through Postini. I'm trying to determine the best solution for my needs, but can't seem to figure out the difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

I've not used Google's specific offerings so I'm afraid I cannot offer too much information on how it compares. I can say that our accounts are Postini enterprise accounts. Each of our accounts includes message spooling whereas Google's $3/year does not. Last I saw you also were prohibited from reselling Google's accounts per their terms.

With our Postini accounts we do all of the setup and maintenance. This includes the initial MX configuration, making changes when we upgrade servers, etc. Part of the decision comes down to how much work you actually want to do.

Comment

• felipe808
                              • Mar 2004

Overwhelming Postini?

just deleted about 150 "returned email" from chinese and ru origin hitting my email client on my end and deleted about 400 on the postini account....huge attack must be going on...overwhelming Postini?

Comment

• AndrewT
                                Administrator
                                • Mar 2004

No. This would be due to a spammer spoofing your e-mail address as the FROM address in their spam. As a result, you will receive the bounce messages. Spam filtering on bounce messages isn't very effective as these bounce messages will often not include the original body message.

Comment

Working...