Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • felipe808
    • Mar 2004

Why then?

It's probable then that the email account I deleted yesterday is creating all the bounces. Jeez....ergo...don't delete emails accounts.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by felipe808
      It's probable then that the email account I deleted yesterday is creating all the bounces. Jeez....ergo...don't delete emails accounts.
      I get it quite often on valid email accounts also. I'm surprised that the bounce messages honor the spoofing rather than sending them to the actual sender, or that they don't filter for spam and discard before checking for valid TO: email addresses.

Comment

• J-G
        • May 2004

I just got a barrage of these too

I just got a barrage of these bounced e-mails with my "real" e-address being spoofed[used] by some spammer. This just started in the last week. I would get 1/month, now it's like 25/day.
        Do we just have to live with them? What do you-all do?
        กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Unfortunately this problem has been on the rise globally for several months. There is no way to fully prevent this from occurring but there are a few things that you can do to help:

1. Enable SpamAssassin or even better signup for our Postini service. IF the bounce message is sent with the original body in-tact, these will very likely be tagged as spam and can be removed before you even see them.

2. Setup a SPF record for your domain via cPanel. This is under the e-mail authentication menu. If you are unable to find this option please modify the domain via WHM to use the x3 cPanel theme.

3. Make sure you are NOT using the default address (catch-all). Set this to discard or :fail: (same thing though the option varies depending on your cPanel theme).

4. If it is getting bad enough you may want to consider setting up e-mail filters via the domain's cPanel to help with discarding these based on common subjects, message content, etc.

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

One more thing - this particular issue does not really apply to Postini specifically. If anyone wishes to discuss problems with backscatter any further please create a new thread or reply to one of the few that are already open on this same topic.

Comment

• J-G
              • May 2004

Thanks

I will make sure to try those suggestions.
              Backscatter - yeah, that's it! Wikipedia sez this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_%28e-mail%29 )
              กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

Working...