Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

Convert phpBB to VBulletin?

Has anyone here converted a phpBB board to vBulletin? I'm seriously considering it on my busiest site due to the constant updating you have to do with phpBB (which involves manual re-loading of all your modifications, etc.)

Their FAQ says they handle attachments fine. Any first hand experience with this? Also, when Jelsoft issues an update, how hard is it to implement?
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I can't comment on the upgrade from phpBB to VB.

However, the VB upgrades are fairly painless. Although modifications to any piece of software may create problems during updates, not just phpBB.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

The problem with phpBB is that a typical upgrade for a security bug fix can take hours with a forum with just a few mods ... especially the "attachment mod" which allows people to post images in the forums. You can download and edit a dozen or so .php or template files just to have to start again in a couple of months when another minor upgrade comes out.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

That same problem will occur with any script that you use if you are modifying the actual scripts. During an upgrade the scripts are replaced with newer versions. Any modifications made will be lost.

Comment

• Pedja
          • Mar 2004

I moved from phpbb2 to SMF for the same reason. Went fairly easy.

Comment

• ChrisTech
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
            Has anyone here converted a phpBB board to vBulletin? I'm seriously considering it on my busiest site due to the constant updating you have to do with phpBB (which involves manual re-loading of all your modifications, etc.)

Their FAQ says they handle attachments fine. Any first hand experience with this? Also, when Jelsoft issues an update, how hard is it to implement?
            I'm getting ready to "attempt" this for an online game I play (their forums). No clue yet to how it will go.

But upgradig VB is fairly painless if you don't have many mods/hacks/styles (skins) installed. My one site (aboutredbox.com) is just a VB forum, notice the color diff. at the top in a few things, added them to the skin, and still havent gotten back to re-editing them so it works with the style.

If you juse apply the security fixes (and keep the version of VB you are running) the updates aren't bad at all. Main reason my forum on my one site is still 3.5.4 (with all security updates).

Though, overall, VB is much easier to update hacks for, vs phpbb...all done via the admin control panel.
            Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

Working...