Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArleyErmey
    • Sep 2006

"Reseller Capable?"

I've been looking over the plans and overall I'm pretty pleased with what I'm seeing. I'm a little confused by what "Reseller Capable" means in the features matrix, however.

It appears that the plans aren't, strictly speaking, reseller plans so I'm wondering what tools Dathorn offers for the reseller - billing, administration, etc.

I'm also wondering about IP addresses. I don't want to share an IP address with any other Dathorn client. I don't mind sharing an IP address among my own customers, but I don't want my customers (or myself) being penalized because some other Dathorn client got caught SPAMming and put the shared IP address on the black hole list. That's too big a PITA.

So do ANY truly dedicated IP addresses come with a plan, or are they all shared unless you pay the upcharge? If I pay the extra $1.50 a month for a dedicated address am I guaranteed that no one else gets to use that IP address unless I let them?

That's about it for now. Thanks.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

"Reseller Capable" simply means that they can be used as regular reseller accounts. There really is no difference. Access to WHM allows you to create accounts for domains as you wish, these accounts can be resold.

As for as e-mail blacklisting, all e-mail is always sent out via the server's main IP regardless of what IP the domain may be hosted on, so a dedicated IP for each and every domain will not help in this situation.

The first dedicated IP is free. All IPs required proper justification.

Comment

• ArleyErmey
      • Sep 2006

Thanks for answering so quickly.

I was hoping a dedicated IP would alleviate or eliminate the blacklist problem. I don't know what I was thinking, because intellectually I know that it all comes down to the server's IP address. It's just that I'm now finding myself having to change hosting companies for the second time in a year thanks to blacklisting as the result of the activities of a hosting company's other customers.

So this leaves me with another question - what's meant by "proper justification"? You mentioned that and I saw it elsewhere on the site, but I don't know what I'd have to do to justify an IP. Thanks.

Bill

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

For the most part, unless you plan on purchasing and installing an SSL certificate on a domain, there is no need for a dedicated IP address.

Being blacklisted by a mail server is bound to happen in any shared hosting environment. I'm not going to try and tell you that it doesn't happen here either. But we do actively work on getting all blacklistings removed whenever they are discovered and these do only occur rarely.

Comment

• ArleyErmey
          • Sep 2006

Thanks again for the quick reply!

This latest blacklist issue involved Verizon and as of this writing I haven't been successful in getting it removed. The hosting company says they've filled in the on-line form and that's all they can do.

Besides uptime and technical support, one of the biggest problems in identifying a new hosting company is trying to figure out whether or not they're SPAM-friendly. Any host can get snagged by the occasional rogue user, but I don't want to get myself involved with a SPAMhaus or even a company that will turn a blind eye to SPAMmers. What's Dathorn's policy in this regard?

Thanks.

Bill

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

We do not tolerate any kind of spamming at all. This includes unintended spamming through an insecure script on a domain. Any domain found to be spamming is suspended immediatley until a permanent resolution of the problem can be reached.

Comment

• ArleyErmey
              • Sep 2006

Great! Thanks. Is there any wait involved or are you accepting new customers immediately?

Bill

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Currently you can signup immediatley.

Comment

Working...