Is gross webspamming a Dathorn AUP violation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samsam
    • Mar 2004

Is gross webspamming a Dathorn AUP violation?

I hate web-spam, as a web publisher and a web user. HATE IT!!!

As a web user, it gets in the way of me using the search engines productively, and it also robs me of income and visitors as a web publisher.

There, I've made my position clear.

Now I am very angry to discover that after several un-eventful years with Dathorn, after transitioning over from cpanel31 onto cpanel50, I am now sharing this great new Dathorn server with some scammy sleaze who has recently registered a bunch of junk domains bought through an Indian registrar and a few other places, which comprise a range of script generated, keyword loaded and illegally scraped content piled into garbage domain names.

AdSense ads are then placed on the sites to collect clicks from people deceived into visiting that domain, under search results that promise:

- Needepoint supplies found here...
    - Cable ties found here...
    - Corporate events found here...
    - Regulatory compliance found here...
    - Oregon River And Rafting Trips Found Here
    - San Francisco Dentists Found Here
    - Medical Software Found Here...
    - Workforce management Found Here...
    - Inventions Found Here...
    - Physician Employment Found Here...
    - Product Fulfillment Solutions Found Here
    - DNA Testing Found Here
    - College Degrees Found Here
    - Internet Service Providers Found Here
    - Laboratory Equipment Found Here
    - Maui Weddings Found Here

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc in the search engine results pages, especially in MSN Search.

Some of the domains on cpanel50 that host this spammy garbage include:

allentele.com, chicny.net, nefpexpo.com, panoshotels.com, spatialanomalies.com, kcfweb.com, charolais-business.com, rea-invest.com, alanmars.com, otowa.com, secrethour.com, alloregonriver.com, emclab2000.com, 123-paintballs.com, porter-cable.net, lbkits.com, techjourney.com, basseyonline.com, ts728.com, raisingaracquet.com, e-dirco.com, itgeniusclub.com, questcollege.com, methodus2000.com, realityize.com, whiteroseinnbb.com

etc etc, in the hundreds.

In fact of the over 400 domains indicated as being on the IP address of cpanel50, MOST are these horrible webspam domains.

Now, before I report all these sites to Google as webspam, and before I report this guy to Google's AdSense team for violating THEIR AUP, I want Dathorn to clarify whether running this sort of operation on a Dathorn server is acceptable.

I don't think it should be acceptable.

Webspam can be as bad as email spam in its consequences for a host. Webspammers are unscrupulous and will often not only load their sites up with garbage keyword heavy crap content, but also adware and malware and God knows what else. It is certainly not being a good Net citizen to host it.

Furthermore, I certainly don't want any of my sites on that IP address - now or in future - to be blacklisted by the many system administrators who hate webspam and/or content scrapers, for example.

I also don't want to have my sites blocked by any anti-virus or toolbar or firewall software that block suspicious or risky sites. After all, when people see HUNDREDS of spammy sites operating off one IP address, what are they gonna do - find and add each individual domain to their filters, or just take the most efficient option and block the whole IP?

And I certainly don't want the search engine results for any of MY sites on cpanel50 to be degraded by Google or the other search engines thinking that, as I share the same IP address with literally HUNDREDS of webspam sites, my sites must also be webspam. Google is in particular sensitive to whether you are hosted in a 'bad neighbourhood', and I don't like the idea that my sites may be penalised for sharing a IP address with this webspammer.

What's the verdict Andrew? Please give this guy the boot, right off Dathorn.
    Last edited by samsam; 10-08-2006, 04:51 PM.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Unless there is something that specifically violates our existing AUP or ToS (adware, malware, and other things of that nature) there is nothing for us to do. If you believe there is something, feel free to point it out in a trouble ticket. This individual on your server has been there since it was setup in the beginning, so it certainly is not something new. Generalized claims pertaining to certain activity is not going to succeed in getting someone booted.

I've seen absolutely no such blacklistings occur because this either.

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

Furthermore, I certainly don't want any of my sites on that IP address
      I wouldn't want to be on that IP after you report this webspam either.

I have noticed if you do the home work for Google they will take very aggressive action. Google really doesn't seem to like paying people for webspam.
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

This customer's domains will be on a completely different IP by the end of the day. If you insist on reporting them, please do so after today.

Comment

• russellg
          • Mar 2006

[QUOTE]
          Originally posted by samsam
          I hate web-spam, as a web publisher and a web user. HATE IT!!!

As a web user, it gets in the way of me using the search engines productively, and it also robs me of income and visitors as a web publisher.

There, I've made my position clear.
          I went to some of those sites and I think that the Google ads point to legitimate and useful clicks.

If I were paying for those clicks I would be happy....and so should Google.

If you think you are being harmed by competitions in the click world...then you should be looking at your content.

So ...you want to tear up the competition to benefit your own interests...certainly not mine and others on these servers.

You and your ilk are trying your best to dumb down the internet to your low level.

Russ Griechen

Comment

• ZYV
            • Sep 2005

I think that your statements are completely stupid. Out of curiosity I went to some of those sites and in fact I found that they are basically the same (at least the underlying script is the same, only the content changes to reflect the domain name).

This is the usual shit that comes out from the search engines when I am not smart enough to make a good query, which is pretty irritating. You may argue that you're (or whoever maintaining those sites) not doing anything illegal/violating TOS/AUP, but I think it's clear enough that this is an informational garbage which has nothing interesting for the web surfers and is made especially for tricking AdSense.

You and your ilk are trying your best to dumb down the internet to your low level.
            +1. I like your sense of humor.

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
              This customer's domains will be on a completely different IP by the end of the day. If you insist on reporting them, please do so after today.
              I think that's a great solution and way more than I would expect from any host.
              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

All I see is link farms (no relative info) for the purprose of generating false clicks for google ads. Using the same template for most of the sites.

Code:
                http://www.porter-cable.net/cable-ties/cable-tie-installation-tool.html

[b]Cable Tie Installation Tool Clip Of The Day[/b]

[b]Sept. 11 used as selling point[/b] Since Sept. 11 -- the nation changed, its psyche altered and Americans bore out a new existence in ways subtle and clear. Airport passengers slip off their shoes without a second thought. A war rages; casualties mount. And color-coded threat levels are part of the country's consciousness. 

This much is indisputable. 

But with the passing of each anniversary, so much else has been hung on that phrase, so much consequence attached to the terror attacks that it doesn't hold as sturdy -- or at least raises a skeptical brow. 

Since Sept. 11, 2001, the stories have gone, Americans have been buying up real estate, swathing themselves in cashmere and furnishing their homes with luxuries. The nation indulged in comfort foods like never before, visited psychologists and ingested anti-anxiety pills in new numbers.

Nothing but crap. 3 Diff. Adsense areas of ads. No revelant data. Has what appears to be a search tab in the left hand corner that doesn't work. Has a sign in area, for what? There is no place to register for anything. Site isn't selling anything.

Link farms suck.

My guess is those who don't see an issue with it, prolly run such sites. When I find such sites, I report them.
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• russellg
                  • Mar 2006

This is the usual shit that comes out from the search engines when I am not smart enough to make a good query, which is pretty irritating. You may argue that you're (or whoever maintaining those sites) not doing anything illegal/violating TOS/AUP, but I think it's clear enough that this is an informational garbage which has nothing interesting for the web surfers and is made especially for tricking AdSense.
                  +1. I like your sense of humor.
                  If you are really concerned about click fraud....just Google for
                  adsense click clubs

Comment

• ZYV
                    • Sep 2005

As for me, I am not concerned about click fraud at all, since I have no connections with Google and AdSense in particular. The only thing I am concerned about is getting rubbish out of the major SEs instead of something that would be interesting and informative for me. That is why I responded to the thread.

Comment

• russellg
                      • Mar 2006

Nothing but crap. 3 Diff. Adsense areas of ads. No revelant data. Has what appears to be a search tab in the left hand corner that doesn't work. Has a sign in area, for what? There is no place to register for anything. Site isn't selling anything.

Link farms suck.
                      I see your point....
                      Kinda like your redbox.com in your signature.
                      Links that go nowhere.....
                      Denver codes
                      St. Louis codes.....on and on
                      talk about a waste of time...
                      I wonder where I can report those

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Lets try and keep it clean guys

IMO, just like e-mail spam, this will not be going away any time soon. It's only a matter of time before it gets just as bad of a reputation as e-mail spam has.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by russellg
                          I see your point....
                          Kinda like your redbox.com in your signature.
                          Links that go nowhere.....
                          Denver codes
                          St. Louis codes.....on and on
                          talk about a waste of time...
                          I wonder where I can report those
                          What about the site? A forums site, that isn't active. Mainly its just an arcade (vb forums). And notice, there are zero ads on that site. I don't see how that can even come into a comment here bud. But feel free to "report it" to whomever you think you can.

But for folks who have a redbox in town, codes are nice (free dvd rentals).
                          Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Pedja
                            • Mar 2004

There is no need to argue.

Every spam should be reported. Google will decide if those sites are acceptable or not.

It is good that sites are moved to different IP (and I hope scum had to pay for it) so if Google put some sanctions on those sites, others would not be effected.

Comment

Working...