X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

cpanel11 Hardware Problems

cpanel11 is currently offline due to a potentially severe problem with the RAID array on the machine. We're currently working on this as quickly as possible and I will continue to post updates to this thread as necessary.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I'll be posting a further update explaining this situation as soon as we have everything figured out. At this point I do not want to post information that might end up being incorrect.

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Let me go ahead and give some brief information regarding this issue:

We believe that this is similar to the problem that we experienced with cpanel04 a little over a month ago (RAID controller failure). As a result, this has created problems with both drives in the array. One drive is virtually unuseable at this point. The other one we are currently working on to see if we can get the server to boot from it.

If booting the server off of the existing drive(s) does not work, we will be placing them into another server in order to attempt retrieving data from them. This is what we ended up having to do with cpanel04 and we were able to retrieve all data on the drives, although this did take a while. However, I cannot comment on how successful this might be in this particular instance. For those of you that pay for our backup service, these are still available and can be restored if necessary.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

I apologize for the lack of updates. We're still working on the drives from cpanel11 and we're setting up cpanel54 which will essentially be the "upgrade" for cpanel11 to the new platform.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Unfortunately at this point we advise that you operate off of the assumption that no data will be retreived from the cpanel11 drives. This does not mean that we are going to stop trying, this just means that the real chances of getting any data off of the drives are very slim at this point. If this changes, we will certainly post here.

All cpanel11 customers should now have WHM access on cpanel54. The welcome e-mail that can be viewed in your customer control panel will list the new information for the server. In order to access WHM, you will have to reset the password via the customer control panel first.

The existing DNS servers for cpanel11 (dns21 and dns22) have been updated to the new cpanel54 DNS IP addresses already. So if you are using those DNS servers, you do not need to worry about changing them. If you are using custom nameservers, you will need to use the new cpanel54 DNS information.

For the customers that pay for our backup service, we're in the process of transfering these backups to cpanel54 right now and we will be restoring the accounts as soon as possible. More updates regarding this will be posted to this thread.

Please accept my sincerest apology for this incident. This is certainly the last thing that I wanted to deal with today just as it undoubtedly is for the customers on this server. If we can help in any way please feel free to submit a ticket and we will certainly do whatever we can. Hardware failures such as this are a very unfortunate and more information regarding this and our plans will be posted in a separate announcement after we have recovered from this incident.

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

For those of you that pay for our backup service, your public_html data and databases have now been restored. Due to limitations with the older version 2 of our backup system (which cpanel11 used), you will still need to recreate e-mail accounts, datatabase users, and parked/addon/sub domains via cPanel. You will also have to assign these restored domains an appropriate package via WHM and reset their password.

For whatever its worth, cpanel54 uses the latest version (version 3) of our backup system which creates backups that are completely restoreable even with a dead server.

Once again, if anyone needs anything, please feel free to submit a ticket. We'r replying to them as quickly as we can.

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

I believe some good news is long overdue...

I've been working on the old cpanel11 drives quite extensively. So far I have been able to retrieve some data off of them, particularly the MySQL databases. I still need to take a closer look at them but so far they look "okay" with the exception of two databases that were obviously corrupted.

My goal now is to try and retrieve the public_html data for each account. I cannot say for certain how successful this might be at this time.

I will continue to update this thread as the results progress.

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

I've gone ahead and have restored the WHM packages. I did not overwrite any packages that you might have already recreated.

Also, if anyone needs a complete list of accounts that they had on cpanel11, simply submit a trouble ticket requesting it and we can provide it to you.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

I'm still working on recovering the user public_html data. There are some accounts that are obviously corrrupted, others we have had some success in getting the data off of. I will continue to post updates as this progresses.

Once this is all said and done, I will post instructions on how to request a restore.

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

We've transfered over all of the user public_html data to cpanel54 that is recoverable. Approximately 10% of the accounts could not be retrieved due to drive errors.

All other public_html data is available for restore along with most of the databases (2 were completely corrupt). We cannot guarantee the integrity of this data, there still may be files with in the data that are corrupt, but in general it looks okay.

In order for restores to work properly, your domains must be created with the exact same usernames as they were on cpanel11. If you are unsure of this, please submit a trouble ticket requesting a list of your accounts as they were on cpanel11.

To request complete public_html data restores and/or complete database restores, submit a trouble ticket with the username for each account on a seperate line. Do not include anything aside from the username. Please specify what you would like restored in the ticket. All existing data on the account will be removed during this process.

To request individual database restores, submit a trouble ticket with the full database name. This includes the domain user prefer. Ex: someuser_phpbb

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to submit a trouble ticket.
                    Last edited by AndrewT; 10-16-2006, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...