Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsowen
    • Mar 2004

Dathorn is a boring place

I'm an early Dathorn customer who was on cpanel05 that was just upgraded to a new server -- which means moved to a new machine. This was the most ubelievably boring event I could imagine: nothing went wrong, nothing quit working, nothing was lost. Yawn.

Having been hosted at two other places before Dathorn opened for business, I know what it is like to be on oversold, unattended servers that if not crashed, are uselessly slow. I really appreciate the fact that runaway processes, denial of service attacks, hacks, and such are quickly detected and quickly stopped at Dathorn. In my case, a website had been prototyped for a friend and then pretty much abandoned for a few years. Unadvertised, out of sight, and out of mind, but somebody hacked the un-updated forum about 18 months ago. I never would have known if Dathorn hadn't taken immediate action by suspending that unused account and sending an email with the famous we-won't-tolerate-this-carelessness message. I'm delighted with the Dathorn attitude that if a customer takes offense at being suspended, that customer can go elsewhere so that the remaining majority of customers remain satisfied.

Well, that's been the only exciting moment here, but there really wasn't anything left for me to do since the account wasn't being used anyhow.

So basically, if nothing ever goes wrong at this place, I never get to fix anything, never get to submit trouble tickets, and never get to strategize in how to respond to a fight with my service provider. Guess I should quit complaining and count my blessings, eh?
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

Yes Dathorn is a boring place ....no shots at Andrew and his Crew .... all Top Draw folks ...!!!

I did have to submit two trouble tickets this past few days, my god I had to dig for my login and password, However as usual Andrew fixed me right up the first one was change in Credit Card, the second I thought was a server issue on CPanel 17 turns out after a few e-mails back and fourth between Andrew and myself, was a cable modem issue not a Dathorn issue
    Yes dam exciting place to hang around...... ha ha ha

However it does allow time for other things like building web sites etc ..
    Keep it nice and boring Andrew it's ok by me ...!!
    Although Andrew use to sport and talk about a flashy car not sure if he gave that up or not ...??
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. I must say that I've seen some rather interesting thread titles come up in this opinions forum. You even helped me come up with our new slogan: "Dathorn - where the web hosting is just plain boring!"

Comment

• J-G
        • May 2004

Yeah. ME TOO. Heh-heh.

Yep, when it comes to website hosting... BORING is GOOD.
        ¡¡¡ Jess G. ¡¡¡

Comment

• frednorman
          • Apr 2004

I would like to add my thanks to AndrewT and the crew.

I am at cpanel56, which is currently down at the moment. The downtime is obviously rather upsetting for all affected -- but the information/communication is excellent from Dathorn. Both timely and clear.

I have been using other hosts in the past, who would simply ignore problems or at least hope that the customers didn't notice.

At Dathorn, everything runs smoothly most of the time, but more importantly, once something does go wrong (it has to in this business, at some point or another), the company is completely open about it, and on top of fixing it.

Thanks!

Comment

• joan
            • Apr 2004

Add me to the chorus of approval :-) Andrew quickly sorted out a mass of missing files on cpanel56 for me.

The whole thing was not the disaster it could have been - instead, it just a reminder to back up more often :-)

Comment

• Grunfeld
              • Mar 2004

or pay for back up service
              Cheers,

Gary
              (This space for rent)

Comment

• echostatic
                • Apr 2004

I'm envisioning a commercial for Dathorn - first a view of NightmareHost's helpdesk cubicles full of frantic, call-laden workers.

Switch to Andrew, at his desk, alone. Reading "Pride & Prejudice". Reads a page. Turns it. Reads the next page. Looks down. Sees a fly. Swats it. Reads a page. Turns it...

/.e

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

You guys are awesome!

Comment

• peteraloha
                    • Nov 2006

Endorsing efficiency, courtesy and excellence of service

I address this to Andrew and staff at dathorn:

Early on I was impressed with the unpretentious, straigt-forward gui at dathorn.com

Each inquiry I sent was answered almost immediately with a no-nonsense-matter-of-fact but courteous and complete answer.

I have been with a number of hosting provider, and Andrew & staff leave all of them in the dust no question when it gets to doing business and relating to customers.

It is this type of business model I find really inspiring, putting to work values such as efficiency, responsiveness, accountability, just to mention a few.

I am hearing a lot of folks out there using big words, promissing a lot of things, and VERY, very few are actually delivering on their promises. Dathorn, on the other hand, doesn't use big flashy promises..............and yet, deliver at a level very few even get close to!!!

I am going to leave it here, even though Andrew Thornton and staff all deserve a lot more of what I am hinting at in this post!!!.......... it goes beyond not experiencing any problems with the domains I host with dathorn, it sets a pace in customer support and quality of service that is more and more difficult to find these days.

THANK YOU DATHORN, Andrew and staff........

Peter Reck
                    Los Angeles, California

Comment

Working...