Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cox3100
    • Jun 2006

Switching Hosting and Email Question

I am going to be switching one of my clients Hosting over to my Dathorn account. I have all of their web files setup on the new server and their current email accounts and current passwords. Once I change the nameserver info for their domain and everything starts pointing to the new server, will there be any delay or disconnect with their email service?

I did this with another client, and it seemed to take a day or two until their email was working fully? I just wanted to be more prepared this time...
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

Could be wrong on this:

I think emails could be delivered to either server until the new dns has propagated fully (the couple of days with your last client)

You can probably forward all mail from the old server to the new one to compensate for this.

HTH

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

As long as the account on the old server remains active then there will be no downtime. However, as Elite mentioned, there will be a period of time during the DNS propagation where some e-mail will go to the new server and some will go to the old server.

Comment

• Denver Dave
        • Sep 2004

The email may be caught on one server or the other, but I'm not sure how you can get back to pick it up on the old server once the domain has transfered to the new server.

Forwarding is an interesting idea, maybe with another temporary domain to go to? ... or temporarily maybe a personal isp email address.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

You can simply use the old server's IP to check the e-mail accounts that you still have there.

Comment

• cox3100
            • Jun 2006

Thank you all for your help, this went smoothly. I just forwarded all of the clients email from both servers to a seperate temporary email account for 3 days during the transition.

Thanks!

Comment

• Elite
              • Apr 2004

Glad it worked out

Comment

Working...