• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Corpse
    Does IPB 1.3 work with MYSQL 5?
    According to what ZYV posted above, it does not work with MySQL 5.

Comment

• ZYV
      • Sep 2005

Well, yes, it does not work out of the box.

But I've managed to write a compatibility patch, all you need is to replace all the occurences of the reserved mySQL 5 keywords in the table names and perhaps fix a couple of other glitches. Don't remember exactly what it was.

Other than that, I can confirm that I've successfully converted it to UTF-8 with mySQL 5 (need this for national characters) and as far as I remember I only had to change all of the hardcoded ISO occurences to UTF-8.

For a good alternative you might wish to try SMF, which supposedly works with mySQL 5 or else IPB 2.2.2 which does work with mySQL 5.0 out of the box.

Comment

• Pedja
        • Mar 2004

What about custom scripts? Are you going to neglect that there are sites that use custom scripts that are writen to work on existing server and that change to MySQL 5 could crash them?

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

This post is in reference to all scripts. Even if the upgrade does not occur soon it is only a matter of time before it does. Therefore you need to make sure that your scripts are compatible with MySQL 5.

Comment

• halyfax
            • Mar 2004

I use SunShop Ecommerce Shopping Cart and have been informed it has problems with MySql5 using their current stable version 3.5.1. linky

Not sure what the exact problems are but cause for concern.

Comment

• zen
              • Mar 2004

I'm not certain what level of MySQL 5 we are talking about. I have a customer using X-Cart which appears to be compatible up to MySQL 5.0.27 inclusive. System requirements are here.

Comment

• pwolanin
                • May 2006

I'm using Drupal 4.7.x, 5.x - MySQL5 should run fine (I do some localhost testing with both using MySQL 5.0 under Ubuntu, and I have not seen any significant issues in the Drupal issue queue)

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

The MySQL version that we'd be upgrading to would likely be 5.0.27 although this could change as time goes by.

It does scare me that developers STILL have not made their scripts compatible with MySQL 5. It's not a difficult task by any means and most code works perfectly without any changes.

Comment

• Pedja
                    • Mar 2004

I folowed some info about compatibility problems and noticed that there are some issues regarding that MySQL 5 radicaly changed some stuff. to mek thing worse, that does not produce visible error notices, but simply server does some things differently. One of the issues is related to TIMESTAMP fields.

Comment

• AndrewT
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2004

Would anyone be interested in testing MySQL 5? We could transfer one of your accounts over to a server that is running MySQL 5 and you could then check functionality and see if there are any problems.

Comment

• crash resistant
                        • Jun 2004

Yeah I think upgrading to 5.x would be a great idea because of the new features it offers. Not to mention old scripts usually run fine and if not it's an easy fix.

The internet is an evolving creature- we can keep up the pace or be left behind in the dust.

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by crash resistant
                          The internet is an evolving creature- we can keep up the pace or be left behind in the dust.
                          That's pretty much about where we are getting to. MySQL 5 is quite old. If a script cannot work with MySQL 5 then it probably shouldn't be run anyways

Comment

• ron
                            • Oct 2007

Just got the notice today that my server will be upgraded on Saturday, I run some websites with custom scripts and I would like to check. Is there any information out there on what has to be changed?

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

There is quite a bit of information here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...-from-4-1.html

Comment

• joyufat
                                • Mar 2004

Is it safe to assume that the scripts in Fantastico are MySQL5 compatible?

Comment

Working...