Thread: Nameservers across 2 Dathorn accounts

Default Nameservers across 2 Dathorn accounts

Some time ago, I was reading advice regarding upgrading accounts at Dathorn. There were two basic paths, increasing the level of your existing account (which has the benefit of one convenient WHM/CP to managed, provided the server had room) or getting a second account on a different server (which brings various potential benefits).

I've decided on the latter option. I will open a second, separate account at Dathorn on one of the newer servers.

I searched the forums again regarding how to handle nameservers spanning across 2 different Dathorn accounts without finding any relevant threads.

My hosting clients are uniformly instructed to point their DNS to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

mydomain.com is hosted at Account1 on CpanelXX.

What's the advice here? I'd like an authoritative recommendation.

I could (Option A) setup someotherdomain.com as owner of Account2 on CpanelYY or perhaps (Option B) foobar.mydomain.com as Account2 on CpanelYY.

Either way, I want to continue directing hosting clients to point to ns1.mydomain.com, et al. How would that be handled?

In Option A, am I now forced to tell some clients (on the original account) to use ns1.mydomain.com, but tell other clients (some of whom might be the same actual person or company) to use ns1.someotherdomain.com? Is there not a seamless way to do it?

In Option B, is it seamless? Or am I required to setup, say, ns3.mydomain.com and ns4.mydomain.com?

Thanks.

I'm not entirely certain as to what you're wanting exactly.

If you just want to be able to use your own nameservers for customers on the new account, you'll simply need to setup ns3/ns4.yourdomain.com to the new server's DNS IPs.

Attempting to use DNS from both of our servers for your domains will not be an easy task and will continually require custom DNS zone changes on your part (such as every time you add a subdomain, parked domain, addon domain, etc.). This is why I would recommend having domains that are on your first account continue using ns1/ns2 and then setup the ones on the new account with ns3/ns4 so that they are entirely separate.

I can understand I may not be clear in expressing that primarily I'm trying to avoid any weirdness of using mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com, which then require customers to use ns2.mydomain5000.com, et cetera.

I can understand how the ns3 and n4 might be the best solution. Now, in order to do that, I should set up the second account as a subdomain (foobar.mydomain.com)?

Assuming that's correct, I then have to put an A record on the first account to point foobar.mydomain.com to the new IP, right? If not, what's the recommended method?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCustomer
    I can understand I may not be clear in expressing that primarily I'm trying to avoid any weirdness of using mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com, which then require customers to use ns2.mydomain5000.com, et cetera.

I can understand how the ns3 and n4 might be the best solution. Now, in order to do that, I should set up the second account as a subdomain (foobar.mydomain.com)?

Assuming that's correct, I then have to put an A record on the first account to point foobar.mydomain.com to the new IP, right? If not, what's the recommended method?
    You certainly do not need more than one domain for nameservers. You can create ns4000.yourdomain.com, it doesn't matter what they are called so long as they are setup properly.

As far as "setting up the second account", you'll need to clarify as to what you're referring to. When you order an account from us you do not specify a domain at all because you get to create all of your accounts via WHM.

Thanks, I guess I've overly complicated things.

So, I set up the second account.

Then, at the registrar, I set up ns3.mydomain.com and ns4.mydomain.com to point to the given DNS IP addresses for this new account. And, finally, I ask Dathorn for the A records to be set up for ns3 and ns4. Correct?

Exactly correct. Just make sure that you submit the ticket regarding the A records under the account that actually hosts mydomain.com.

Thread Information