Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

Point Subdomain to Dynamic IP?

I want to point a subdomain to a dynamic IP (development server on dsl at my clients home)

Does anyone know if it is possible to point the subdomain to a service like zoneedit to use their dynamic dns client or should I change my nameservers to zoneedit and handle all the dns there (i.e. *.domain.ext to dathorn server and dev.domain.ext directed by the dynamic dns client)

I guess handling all the dns at zoneedit would mean dev.domain.ext would still be available if the dathorn box was down, however this is so rare (if ever ) that it is not an issue...

Any help greatly appreciated!
  • openbox
    • Mar 2004

How often does the dynamic IP address change? I have a dynamic IP address that hasn't changed for over six months and I simply created a DNS entry in cPanel to point at the IP address. It works great for what I need. May work for you as well.

Comment

• J-G
      • May 2004

Not-so-dynamic IP

My Comcast-supplied public IP (67.x.x.x) hasn't changed since...probably when Comcast bought out AT&T... (12.x.x.x) years ago.
      The DSL provider(s) seems to change subscribers' public IPs more frequently than the cable ISPs. Anecdotal evidence; your results may vary.
      กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

You can check out the free version of DynDNS, but your client has to register and use one of their domain names, then you point to that ... its free, but you don't get to choose the domain name (which shouldn't matter for one person's development) http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Comment

• Elite
          • Apr 2004

Thanks for the responses guys...

Originally posted by openbox
          How often does the dynamic IP address change? I have a dynamic IP address that hasn't changed for over six months and I simply created a DNS entry in cPanel to point at the IP address. It works great for what I need. May work for you as well.
          I guess they IP doesn't change very often (every reconnect maybe?)

I don't see a DNS option for this in cPanel - Am I being blind, Do I need support to enable it, or are we talking WHM?

Giving WHM access to the client would be a deal breaker, also you can be sure that the IP would change just as they were demoing a new site at a remote location without any way of knowing the new IP...

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
          You can check out the free version of DynDNS, but your client has to register and use one of their domain names, then you point to that ... its free, but you don't get to choose the domain name (which shouldn't matter for one person's development) http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
          Yep, but I'd like to lose the dyndns branded domain by using zoneedits dynamic dns offering (http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html)

I guess the way to go is to have zoneedit handle all my dns - forwarding dev.domain.ext to the dynamic and the rest to dathorn, just didn't want the hassle of changing nameservers...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

• openbox
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Elite
            or are we talking WHM?
            Yep, it's in WHM and you need to submit a ticket to have it enabled. If you need your customer to have the ability to update the DNS record, then this method is probably not an option for you.

Comment

• davehoo
              • Mar 2004

or point a CNAME to the DynDNS.org hostname.

Comment

Working...