Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • condemnity
    • Dec 2004

ODBC access to mysql

Is there any way to access a mysql DB running on my website via ODBC from my home computer? I have an excellent DB admin program to analyze differences between two DBs and I'd like to use it to analyze the diff between my dev server on my laptop and my production DB on my site.

thanks!
    NYC Caterers by Epicurean Creations
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

We do not allow remote MySQL connections. I'm sure it might be possible to use some sort of SSH tunneling but this is not something that we provide support on. It's not even really something we like users doing but we aren't actively pursuing it at this time.

Comment

• james
      • Mar 2004

This FAQ might be helpful for you:

Question: Is direct connection to Dathorn MySQL server possible, without need to use web style admin? Answer: Yes, but... For security reasons native remote direct connection to MySQL server is disabled. So, you cannot use MySQLFront or other similar MySQL admin application to connect directly. However, since there

Comment

• ZYV
        • Sep 2005

Yeah, that works (I guess you want to run SQLYog?), but database comparasion generates A LOT of subsequent queries and might easely put you into trouble with Andrew and excessive ressource usage on large databases

Other than that, sometimes, this is a really handy and secure feature if you set it up correctly.

Comment

• condemnity
          • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=ZYV;15209]Yeah, that works (I guess you want to run SQLYog?)QUOTE]

Why, you must be a genius! SQLYog is the handiest utility I've found in a while!!! I LOVE it!

I'll check the post. thanks. Don't plan to use it for much. Just to sync db structure from time to time and manually update data.
          NYC Caterers by Epicurean Creations

Comment

• ZYV
            • Sep 2005

After the launch of SQLYog Community Edition it immediately became quite popular amongst the mySQL developers, who were normally repelled by the price tag of the Enterprise edition. Also I don't know many other mySQL interfaces with database sync and comparison features.

By the way, Enterprise edition supports SSH tunneling out of the box, so I guess you won't even need Putty if you're the happy owner of this version. Still, be carefull about ressource usage.

Comment

Working...