Thread: mod_rewrite for "converted" URLs?

Default mod_rewrite for "converted" URLs?

Is this possible?

I have a forum I converted from phpBB to SMF, and among the 45,000+ posts, there are numerous links to other posts in the forum. I have the new SMF forums in a different directory, and the conversion used the same "topic number" for all the existing posts. So I'm wondering if mod_rewrite (which I know next to nothing about) can convert this:

/forum/viewtopic?t=5186

to:

/forums/index.php?topic=5186.0

I think it can probably convert the static characters ... "forum/viewtopic?t=" to "forums/index.php?topic=", for instance, but I have no idea if it can append the ".0" (I did try, and saw that the ".0" is not absolutely necessary to find the right topic).

Any ideas?

SOme tiem ago I had same problem and I solved it, but not with rewrite UTL. I used simpler method. I created php files mathing those from phpbb and write them in a manner that they redirect to SMF. It is easier to set. Just copy files to root of SMF forum.

Here is an explnation on SMF support forum: http://www.simplemachines.org/commun...topic=120863.0

That's a great, elegant solution, Pedja! It covers so much more than just the links in the posts. Thanks!

How have you like SMF so far?

Mostly yes. It is far better solution than phpBB but it has its own quirks too

Thread Information