Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elite
    • Apr 2004

Upgrade? what upgrade?

Being on cpanel 15 I was was having some sleepless nights at the thought of potential problems with the upgrade last week...

I have to say I hardly noticed a thing, I'm 100% sure my customers wouldn't have noticed at all had I not tipped them of prior to it

Excellent service as ever guys - thanks
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

A lot of you worry too much For the vast majority, these upgrades are virtually unnoticeable. We've done quite a few of these and have really gotten them down.

Though if I was in your position I would probably worry as well. I cringe whenever we have to replace a dead drive like we did today! All too often it is the bad experiences that come to light on the internet in general so I enjoy reading these kind of positive posts even more.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

The advanced notice really helps, though. I always advise my customers that its coming, so they aren't surprised if they have a few minutes of downtime. Better to prepare for more downtime and have less, than not know its coming (and get a call in the middle of the night!)

Comment

• crunch42
        • Feb 2005

Before the upgrade I was noticing really slow performance, especially late at night when I do a lot of work -- so much so that I got a dedicated server from another company and started putting all my new sites on there.

But after the upgrade, even though this is a shared hosting environment, I got rid of my pokey dedicated server and transferred all my sites back to Dathorn. I am very pleased.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Some servers did need the upgrades more so than others. I made sure that the servers that needed upgrades the most got them first. As of August 1st all servers had been upgraded to our new platform. We'll probably maintain a rough cycle of fully upgrading servers every 2 years or so. Doing this provides obvious performance increases as newer and faster hardware becomes available but it also helps to reduce the chances of experiencing a hardware failure.

I'm glad that you're happy with the upgrades. We realize that they can be quite a bit a work for some customers, though they really do offer quite a few benefits as well.

Comment

Working...