X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I hate my laptop

Just thought I'd share. Its just my luck that I'll need it when I go out of town next month and now it decides to die on me at 2 months shy of 4 years old. Go Dell!
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

Dell stuff just doesn't hold the way it use to for sure my Dell Laptop Inspiron 6000 has a few issues and is not the machine it should be for the dollars I pad two years ago.... it will be replaced in the very near future

Dell quality is not what it use to be, My next laptop will be a Toshiba or a Acer leaning more towards a Toshiba......
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)

Comment

• J-G
      • May 2004

Hmmm...

With Titanium shell, superb screen hinges, tank-like sturdiness, and any-color-as-long-as-it's-black looks, I prefer (ex-)IBM ThinkPads.
      กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

• openbox
        • Mar 2004

Buy a nice MacBook Pro. Apple prices their gear a little high, but it's worth it in my opinion. They do have a nice design team and I haven't had a problem with my PowerBook that I've had for 3+ years and traveled all over the world with. I'll be buying a new MacBook Pro in the next year or so.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

No doubt I'll buy a MacBook Pro for my next laptop.

Though I think I may have narrowed down the problem with my current laptop to a bad stick of RAM or bad RAM slot. It's been running Windows XP and SETI@home for almost 18 hours on a single stick of 256MBs of RAM (512MB stick removed) and it hasn't died yet. I'll have to order some more RAM and make sure. 256MB is a joke.
          Last edited by AndrewT; 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• justme
            • Mar 2004

Hey Andrew, I'd say that 4 years of carrying around the same laptop without giving in to an urge to buy something newer, more updated is amazing. (I couldn't do it.) And if it has lasted 4 years you pretty well got your money's worth out of it. You need to reward yourself by buying a new laptop!

justme

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

I rarely use my laptop. Maybe a couple of weeks out of the year. Even then all I need it for is e-mail, a web browser, and a SSH client. The battery life on it now is about 30 minutes which I personally just think is rather humorous.

Heck, I hadn't upgraded my own desktop for at least 4 years until the motherboard died in it earlier this Spring.

I just had a scary thought that my AT&T wireless PCMCIA card wouldn't work on a Mac, but their websites says it does. *phew*

Comment

• ZYV
                • Sep 2005

I've recently bought a hp dv2000t at their online store which I think is worth it's money (great deal: I've got the universal DVD burner as a free upgrade). I would have bought a Macbook Pro though if I had more money to spare. It's everything one can dream of: based on the FreeBSD 6 and armed with fink wich is a port of almost all that ever existed in the POSIX world it comes with very neat and fast GUI (much faster than X ATM AFAIK).

Comment

Working...