A record IP address used as 3rd dns record?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • felipe808
    • Mar 2004

A record IP address used as 3rd dns record?

I just pointed (thank you Andrew) an "A record" to a subdomain on a different server.
    Since this uses a dedicated IP and it's directly related to my main site and since it's on another server, if I entered the nameserver as a 3rd DNS record would it not act as a "backup" server if heaven forbid (and it ususally does) the main domain server went down?

Is that clear? Is there any conflict using the same A Record as a tertiary namesaver?

Thanks. Just wondering if I can get some double use out of the other site..as a backup site. So the subdomain would go to the new server and if the first two nameservers for the underlying domain went down, the domain name would resolve to the third nameserver which would be the subdomain, A record.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Authoritative DNS servers that are listed for a given domain are not selected in order, they are essentially selected randomly.

Aside from that, you would have to setup actual DNS service on the server where your new A record is pointed to. Using the DNS service you would then have to specifically point the domain to the IP of your choice.

Comment

• felipe808
      • Mar 2004

Simply put

Thanks, Andrew...I was hoping they were selected sequentially.

Comment

Working...