Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

Question on 301 Redirects

I am redesigning a site and will be required to do a few redirects, all the SEO info I read advises to create a htaccess with the redirects there.

In the past I have used cpanel redirects to go from old page to new and that seems to work ok as the new page is picked up by search engines.

What are your thoughts ..??
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)
  • djn
    • Mar 2004

It's a good advice. HTTP reply code 301 means 'Moved permanently'; search engines are supposed to know this and change their stored page address while knowing the page is the same. That's what they indeed do, at least the meaningful ones.
    There's no difference if you do it from cPanel or if you manually create (or edit) a .htaccess file.

Comment

• paradiselost
      • Apr 2004

There's no difference if you do it from cPanel or if you manually create (or edit) a .htaccess file.
      djn is right, and in fact, any 301 redirect will work. On huge sites that I've redesigned in the past we've created a database of old to new pages and used php to do 301 redirects. htaccess is probably better and faster than using php to do this, but the application we built allowed the site manager to manage their own redirects from a user friendly interface.

The end result is the same, 301 redirects are the way to go.
      --
      ** DEVTRENCH **
      --
      James Ehly

Comment

Working...