Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mystic
    • Nov 2006

phpBB3 released

with a rather impressive list of new features. Hope this release turns out to be a bit more secure that the old one!
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

I hope so. Although, I have taken to SMF (Simple Machines Forum) because of its ease of administration ... all updates are done through the control center by the client, rather than me having to help them. It looks like they have incorporated that kind of feature with the "Update Wizard" feature.

The problem with phpBB has always been the multiple hacks to the code to customize it to accept things like attachments (pictures). Updates then take hours as you have to manually re-hack all the update files. Perhaps with the new version, and so many of these features included, it will be easier.

Comment

• bburchfield
      • Feb 2007

I just converted a phpBB2 forum to phpBB3. The process is fairly straightforward. phpBB3 is installed as new (new subdirectory and new database), and a conversion script is run to port over all your phpBB2 data. Your old phpBB2 files and data are not touched, so you can easily roll back if you need to.

One caveat: After porting over all the data, you must rebuild the word search indexes from scratch. DO NOT RUN the "Fulltext native (active)" index build script. I have a fairly small forum - about 14k posts - and it bogged the server so badly that Andrew had to kill the process. So at this point, the search function will not find any old posts. As new posts are made, they are automatically added to the word search index. Hopefully the phpBB devs will address this issue.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bburchfield
        I just converted a phpBB2 forum to phpBB3. The process is fairly straightforward. phpBB3 is installed as new (new subdirectory and new database), and a conversion script is run to port over all your phpBB2 data. Your old phpBB2 files and data are not touched, so you can easily roll back if you need to.

One caveat: After porting over all the data, you must rebuild the word search indexes from scratch. DO NOT RUN the "Fulltext native (active)" index build script. I have a fairly small forum - about 14k posts - and it bogged the server so badly that Andrew had to kill the process. So at this point, the search function will not find any old posts. As new posts are made, they are automatically added to the word search index. Hopefully the phpBB devs will address this issue.
        Bad sign ... phpBB3 has been in development for quite a while, and this seems like a pretty basic thing to have looked at. Maybe its a combination of how our servers are configured or something.

I think I would wait to see how many updates come out in the first month, and then determine if you think they are really going to get a stable version out.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

The problem is that it just floods the server with indexing queries. It needs to have some sort of built-in delay logic so that it is not essentially trying to do everything instantaneously.

Comment

• bburchfield
            • Feb 2007

Now that I'm a bit more familiar with the admin functions (who RTFMs first anyway?) I see that this isn't going to be a problem. There's a setting to choose which search backend to use, mysql or native (phpbb's own search function). It defaults to native, and that's The Index That Must Not Be Built. Simply change that setting to use the mysql indexing and all will be peachy. I believe the mysql search function is more efficient anyway.

There's also a setting to abort a search if cpu utilization exceeds a certain threshold. Without direct access to system monitoring tools it's impossible for me to see how well that actually works, but it's a great idea.

Comment

Working...