Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NIcey
    • Jan 2008

Did WHReviews Lie?

I went to WHReviews.com to source a new host. Dathorn looked reliably good to their customers, with many posts mentioning the answering of tickets within 15 minutes. It's been one hour since I signed up, and I have sent support several e-mail messages about the cPanel not loading on my computer, the window just hangs. If it's an error on my part, I'd LOVE to hear from Dathorn about what it is. In fact, I'd LOVE to hear anything from them.

At this point, I can only say that WHReviews must have inaccurate information, is staffed by complete fools, or is an outright scam. As of this post, I'm outraged. Dathorn sucks. Yes, I said it: Dathorn.com sucks.
  • NIcey
    • Jan 2008

Dathorn.com

P.S.: My username is 'invalid' and so is my password. Thank god for the 30-day moneyback guarantee.

Comment

• ZYV
      • Sep 2005

Hmm... You must be a very special case. I can't remember when I had first heard of Dathorn, but since then I am more than happy with my choice and referred a considerable number of clients (which is some kind of customer loyalty factor - you are not going to refer friends if you know that the service sucks).

Sometimes my issues (mostly caused by third parties, not Dathorn!) couldn't be solved the way I wanted it to, but still I can't blame Dathorn for that, as they where always trying to do things far beyond of what they where entitles to by TOS (and Andrew can confirm that).

So I would be trying to figure out what's wrong on your end. Maybe your firewall blocks your connections, or your cable provider is having routing issues, or maybe your IP was banned by IDS because you exceeded the number of attempts to enter a correct password etc. The best bet is to post a trouble ticket at Dathorn.com after having logged-in with your customer name and password and I am quite sure that they'll do their best to help you out.

P.S. No, I am not affiliated with WHReviews or Dathorn, and they are not paying me to post this stuff

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

I did reply to your e-mails about 40 minutes ago. E-mail responses will be some what slow as all of our support is handled via our ticket system as I explained in my reply. Even so, you will NOT always receive a response in less than 15 minutes. While it does happen frequently and we average around that, there are always exceptions.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by NIcey
          I went to WHReviews.com to source a new host. Dathorn looked reliably good to their customers, with many posts mentioning the answering of tickets within 15 minutes. It's been one hour since I signed up, and I have sent support several e-mail messages about the cPanel not loading on my computer, the window just hangs. If it's an error on my part, I'd LOVE to hear from Dathorn about what it is. In fact, I'd LOVE to hear anything from them.

At this point, I can only say that WHReviews must have inaccurate information, is staffed by complete fools, or is an outright scam. As of this post, I'm outraged. Dathorn sucks. Yes, I said it: Dathorn.com sucks.
          Well, our experience is different; there are many happy customers here.

Are you on the west coast, by chance? I submitted a ticket yesterday morning because I couldn't even ping the server I'm on, then could log in, and then the screen would freeze ... real familiar to your situation. The answer ... less than two minutes later ... was that the server was up and running, and Andrew even checked to make sure my IP wasn't banned.

Come to find out there's a problem in the network out here that caused most of us on TWC to not be able to reach certain IP addresses. We could get to Google, but not to many other sites. Sometimes you'd connect, and other times you couldn't.

Comment

• Zalman
            • Mar 2005

Another happy cust here

Last ticket (1 week ago: answerd in a few minutes, solved a little later)

My question in this forum answered, by Andrew no less, in a very short while (search for my name in the forums)

Good day

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

I've never found sites like WHReviews.com very useful when searching for a host.

15 minutes!? One hour!? Response time is a really bad way to judge a host. What you need is a major problem, the kind that effects an entire server or multiple servers. That kind of problem separates the real hosts from the want a be hosts. I've seen hosts fold up when confronted with such a problem. Dathorn has been there and come through with flying colors multiple times. Dependability and reliability are a lot harder to judge than response time.

I never had to waited 15 minutes for a response even with email.
              Last edited by Buddha; 01-06-2008, 10:18 AM. Reason: grammer
              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Grunfeld
                • Mar 2004

Welcome to the fourms.....

Nice start, I would suspect there is an issue on your end.... please follow up and let this group know where the issue is....

Originally posted by NIcey
                P.S.: My username is 'invalid' and so is my password. Thank god for the 30-day moneyback guarantee.
                Cheers,

Gary
                (This space for rent)

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Since we've not heard back from this individual at all I wanted to go ahead and set the story straight.

This person's order was voided by us due to various characteristics of the order being similar to those of fraudulent orders that we regularly receive using stolen credit cards. When this happens, we do not contact the ordering party, the order is simply voided completely. This is done mainly because almost all individuals that knowingly place fraudulent orders will not contact us again about the account not working. If the person does contact us about not being able to login, then there is a very good chance that it is a legitimate order.

The order had been placed at 2:09PM CST on Saturday and voided shortly thereafter. This individual had sent an e-mail not long after this which, for whatever reason, we did not receive. We finally received a re-send of that same e-mail at 3:08PM. By 3:56PM another e-mail came in and this customer was absolutely furious over not having received a response yet and had threatened to contest the charge with Visa and report us to the FTC. It had not even been two hours since the order was placed and less than an hour since we received the first response, on a weekend no less.

I replied at 4:21PM apologizing for the situation and explaining exactly what had happened and we've still not gotten a response almost 4 days later.

I just wanted to clear this up because I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression.

Comment

• Grunfeld
                    • Mar 2004

Way to go Andrew, that is why I asked newbie to let us know, as many people ( me in past elsewhere) beek off in a fourm and find out it was the very common input error( the error between the keyboard and the chair) causing the issue.

For the regular group that is here and I suspect many many more clients that don't participate in the disccusions here I think we are a pretty happy lot.
                    WHreviews has many whiners on there and rightly so in some cases and in many others not so much.
                    Cheers,

Gary
                    (This space for rent)

Comment

• cathode
                      • Oct 2004

It's a pretty safe bet that there's a legitimate and acceptable explanation to any complaint made against Dathorn. I do know one person who canceled and moved to another host, but he was a "high-maintenance" customer who expected a lot more communication than Andrew was giving.

Comment

• ph23man
                        • Mar 2004

Sounds like this type of client is more trouble than they're worth. Given the situation, when someone like this immediately threatens chargebacks and reporting to the FTC (like that agency is going to really address this type of complaint), those are clear signs to steer clear.

My personal experience is that I usually get a response literally within 1-2 minutes of submitting a ticket. 99% of the time that response solves the issue and I close the ticket. I'm VERY satisfied with the service and support I've gotten and continue to get from Dathorn for several years now.

Comment

• ldcdc
                          • Jan 2008

The OP has contacted me as well (I own WHReviews), to complain about Dathorn. Basically, I told him it might be a communication problem and that 1 hour is not a long time to wait. Looks like I was not too far off the mark.

WHreviews has many whiners on there and rightly so in some cases and in many others not so much.
                          I'm not sure what you mean. This is one of the very few complaints I've received. Unlike other sites, on WHReviews one can actually learn how to do his/her own research on companies, instead of blindly following my hosting recommendations.

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

Thank you ldcdc. I think your website is actual very informational for those looking for hosting especially when you compare it to the many alternative sources of information out there.

In Grunfeld's defense, he was probably referring to WHT. I can't say that I disagree with him on that one.

Comment

• ZYV
                              • Sep 2005

I would second that. WHReviews is a very complete guide which offers advice on how to learn to choose hosts instead of just saying "According to our database this host is rated 7/7, and the owners pay us for the referred traffic, so go ahead and you won't regret ". That's great.

P.S. WHT is quite useful though, but you have to know how to use this information.

Comment

Working...