Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mystic
    • Nov 2006

Development on Google/Postini front

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA, February 5, 2008 - Google Inc. today announced a series of security products Powered by Postini™ that deliver message filtering, encryption and archiving for any business environment. Google's new security services work with any mail system, including Lotus Notes, Microsoft Exchange, and Novell Groupwise, and with pricing starting at $3 per user per year can accommodate the budget of any business. Customers can sign up online and immediately begin to improve the security of their email.
    More details also at http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en...ity/index.html

(How) does this affect the Postini service that we get through Dathorn?
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Our Postini service is not affected (at this point at least).

I'd be interested to see how this option from Google actually works. Perhaps I'll give it a try whenever I have some time just to see.

Comment

• james
      • Mar 2004

Very interesting.

I currently host my main email address on my home mail server.

I've just signed up for the $3/yr message filtering service so I can try and reduce the amount of SPAM I receive.

Waiting for it to be activated. Will let you all know how it goes.

Comment

• DaCurryman
        • Mar 2004

Any update James? I'm also thinking of the Google/Postini service.

Comment

• james
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DaCurryman
          Any update James? I'm also thinking of the Google/Postini service.
          It worked quite well actually. I set it up so a daily email is sent to me which lists all the emails that have been quarantined (marked as spam by postini).

This is the new equivalent of checking your junk email folder.

It was a little confusing to set up, but it worked fine.

Since then I have actually migrated my emails to google apps, so I have no need for my postini filtering account because I can now take advantage of gmail's spam filtering (presumably postini powered as well).

This way I don't have to run my own mail server, and I can download mail via pop3 or imap, or use the normal gmail interface.

Comment

• chrisd
            • Mar 2004

I've been trialing it for almost a month on one of my domains.

So far it's blocked over 53000 spams/viruii (yes, for some reason it's very *very* heavily spammed).

Still about 5 or so a day are slipping through direct-to-server -- evidently Turkey and Poland don’t update their dns very quickly.

For those, is there a way (user, ticket, or otherwise) to limit the ip range that a domain will accept mail from?

...Chris

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

There is no great way to do this. The best you could do is setup some creative filters via the domain's cPanel to disregard these for you.

Comment

• ZYV
                • Sep 2005

Hmm, maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but I though you were offering to set up a filter to accept mail only from servers listed in MX records or whatever it was to eliminate direct server-to-server spam.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZYV
                  Hmm, maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but I though you were offering to set up a filter to accept mail only from servers listed in MX records or whatever it was to eliminate direct server-to-server spam.
                  It is a bit more involved than that and such a configuration is available to those utilizing our own Postini service. Even so, it is not perfect and we have seen it cause problems in the past with local e-mails under rare circumstances. We still have many customers utilizing it, however.

chrisd, if you want us to set this up for you we can. It will certainly drop any e-mails that aren't being sent to the domain's MX records (Postini). Just submit a ticket with the domain in question.

Comment

• chrisd
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to hold off for now and wait-and-see.

In the meantime I'll retest the cpanel filters. I really only need to black hole one network, though the last time I used:

Any Header 'contains' ttnet.net.tr, things broke badly (ticket #27609) -- possibly a cpanel bug, or more likely a copy & paste error.

With all my spare time now that I'm not pouring through thousands of spams, I'm in a better position to revisit this.

Comment

Working...