Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

Ok Getting tired here

Ok, lets wake this place up...... geez .... I come here everyday at least twice daily and man it's quiet.... to damn quiet .... Of the group of readers/posters/lurkers we all have differnt skill sets etc.... lets chat about them or show off a design, a site, project you are working on .... maybe you got pictures of Andrew that you would like to share

Hmm it seems to me Andrew use to be a car guy I think mustang owner....

Lets get some talking going on here.....
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)
  • ZYV
    • Sep 2005

Hey, you're welcome to join my FCGI-related monologue

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Clearly you aren't visiting the forums enough if you haven't had a chance to chat with the spammers which I have to ban almost every day.

I think most people only come here when they have a question or a problem. Quiet is good in this case!

Mustangs huh? I dunno what you're talking about! I sold my last running one several months ago but I still have another that I should be working on. It hasn't run in about 3 years just because I haven't gotten around to finishing the work on it. I might even sell it when I'm done. Once you start tearing into cars like I have in the past they just become a never ending project which I don't have time for right now. This whole Dathorn thing keeps me kind of busy.

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2004

OK how bout a few pictures to represent my latest endeavors?

Trying to improve my people photography. Two of my closest
        friends are always a good test, right? 'Specially when the guy hates photos!

But trying not to disturb this guy seems to be the Sunday routine,
        bout 6am-1pm before heading off to work. Sadly postponed the last 2 weeks

But I also love it when the wildlife seems to be showing off to each other

I try oh-so hard to never work even when I'm at work

So ya to sum it up. Too much work, little play lately. But when I do get to
        play its so much fun! Working on building a portfolio for a side-job as a
        photographer. I love photography so much. But more into wildlife.
        But thats where Sunday fishing comes into play. I get to relax and spend
        more time (bout 3-5hrs/avg) with my dad in that short period of time than
        the entire rest of the week involved. The fact that he loves to take his
        time going back to the docks after fishing so I can whip out the camera rules.
        "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
        - C

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

I really like the wildlife pictures. They make the best subjects if they cooperate.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
            • Mar 2004

Great shot of the turtle and (I'm guessing) cormorant! That big lizard looks too mean to me; I hear they are good eating, but I'm not sure I want to get that close to them even if cooked!

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

lol...I didn't even see the turtle in that picture, now it is 100x better!

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                Great shot of the turtle and (I'm guessing) cormorant! That big lizard looks too mean to me; I hear they are good eating, but I'm not sure I want to get that close to them even if cooked!
                Actually its a Anhingas I believe. The Cormorant is very similar, though
                The Alligator was about 10-15' from us. Heheh times like this I feel our
                15' boat isn't quiet big enough or fast enough! (a healthy 9.9HP)

The first ever Bald Eagle I've seen. Dad's great eyes spotted him a good
                ways away. Managed to creep up a little bit with the trolling motor but
                launched before I was ready. Still got a decent capture out of it though.

How bout a Osprey, I think it is, diving for some food?

And finally, a Great Blue Heron deciding 10' was too close for comfort.

You can always see more @ http://JWSquire.com
                - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                  • Mar 2004

I'm in Oxnard, which is between Malibu and Ventura in California on the coast. We're far enough from LA that the "wildlife" isn't the kind that has to check into rehab centers every weekend. We get "Double Breasted Comorants" that look a bit like your Anhingas.

I saw my first Great Blue Heron here when it was snacking on my koi fish. I named it "Birdzilla" until I could identify it. They try to nest in the sailboats here; if you think pigeons make a mess ...

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2004

I think they might be related, Frank. But not 100% sure.... I'm not a bird watcher myself.
                    Koi fish? Aren't they kinda expen$ive japanese pond fish?
                    - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
                      I think they might be related, Frank. But not 100% sure.... I'm not a bird watcher myself.
                      Koi fish? Aren't they kinda expen$ive japanese pond fish?
                      They are giant goldfish ... "giant" as in size and cost. I love wildlife and sealife in particular, but seeing a $40 koi form a lump in a bird's throat tested my commitment to preservation!

Our herons are not as colorful as yours, though. Ours have a lot of gray where yours is white. They are still impressive, and stand about 3' tall. They don't scare away that easy either.

Comment

• bburchfield
                        • Feb 2007

Great pics!

My parents had a Great Blue clean out their fish pond as well. Birdzilla is a good description.

That's definitely an anhinga there, and a male by his coloring. The easiest way to differentiate cormorants and anhingas is the anhinga has a straight beak, while the cormorant has a hook on the end of its beak. They look pretty similar otherwise, especially from a distance.

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2004

Hey thanks for the clarification on that matter, BB
                          I just received a 11x14 of that alligator - looks great
                          The sunset (I don't think its on my site) didn't come out as good though
                          - C

Comment

• bburchfield
                            • Feb 2007

Sunsets can be tough. Have you ever tried a graduated filter? You could try a neutral density filter or a colored one if you really want to make it pop. Course, you can do the coloring in post with Photoshop these days. If you've got a subject in the foreground try fill flash as well.

Whatever you do, just keep shooting. That's the great thing about digital photography. Just blast away with different settings and filters, and not have to worry about the cost of wasting film.

If you want to get more into wildlife photography, you should give a kayak or canoe a go. You'd be surprised how many critters a boat motor scares off.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bburchfield
                              If you want to get more into wildlife photography, you should give a kayak or canoe a go. You'd be surprised how many critters a boat motor scares off.
                              That's true ... and if astronomy and photography weren't taking up all your time, you could Build a Boat.

Comment

Working...