Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok Getting tired here

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I think they might be related, Frank. But not 100% sure.... I'm not a bird watcher myself.
    Koi fish? Aren't they kinda expen$ive japanese pond fish?
    They are giant goldfish ... "giant" as in size and cost. I love wildlife and sealife in particular, but seeing a $40 koi form a lump in a bird's throat tested my commitment to preservation!

Our herons are not as colorful as yours, though. Ours have a lot of gray where yours is white. They are still impressive, and stand about 3' tall. They don't scare away that easy either.

Great pics!

My parents had a Great Blue clean out their fish pond as well. Birdzilla is a good description.

That's definitely an anhinga there, and a male by his coloring. The easiest way to differentiate cormorants and anhingas is the anhinga has a straight beak, while the cormorant has a hook on the end of its beak. They look pretty similar otherwise, especially from a distance.

Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID

Hey thanks for the clarification on that matter, BB
    I just received a 11x14 of that alligator - looks great
    The sunset (I don't think its on my site) didn't come out as good though
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Sunsets can be tough. Have you ever tried a graduated filter? You could try a neutral density filter or a colored one if you really want to make it pop. Course, you can do the coloring in post with Photoshop these days. If you've got a subject in the foreground try fill flash as well.

Whatever you do, just keep shooting. That's the great thing about digital photography. Just blast away with different settings and filters, and not have to worry about the cost of wasting film.

If you want to get more into wildlife photography, you should give a kayak or canoe a go. You'd be surprised how many critters a boat motor scares off.

Quote Originally Posted by bburchfield View Post
    If you want to get more into wildlife photography, you should give a kayak or canoe a go. You'd be surprised how many critters a boat motor scares off.
    That's true ... and if astronomy and photography weren't taking up all your time, you could Build a Boat.

I love kayaking! Down in the 'Keys when I was a kid, we had a family friend who was sick
    with cancer; she took up kayaking as a form of exercise to keep her strength up and
    whenever Mom went over to her place, me, my sister, and one of my brothers always went.

Me and my brother typically took turns going out kayaking with her (sister was too young).
    I miss it and I miss her as well. Such a nice person, cancer really does suck

BB - I haven't had the $$ to invest in a ND or grad filter yet.
    The only problem I'd have is all the boats rock our 15' bad enough already.
    I'd hate to even think of what it'd be like with a kayak.
    PS ~ Sunset photo was fine digital; but resolution wasn't quiet up to a 11x14 print.
    - C

My dad had Koi in his pond for many years. Back from 94-99 I used to lease fish tanks to doctors and nursing homes so I got everything (fish and equipment) wholesale.

The problem was that my parents live on a little pond that gets very low (or dries up) in the dry season so the wadding birds like to move onshore and hit the snack bar that was my dad's pond.

We had a thing for Butterfly Koi, they ran about $7 a pop, yeah, fish get marked up several hundred percent in the stores.

When the lawyers realized in the late 90's that taking nursing homes to court was really really profitable, well I lost all the accounts in a matter of a few months.....sigh....
    "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

How bout some studio type of shots for a change...
    Still working on technique since I only have a single off-camera flash...

- C

Thread Information