Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedDirtRanch
    • Jul 2007

Random Postini email delays

I've experienced some random delays in emails sent to domains using postini. I've opened a ticket but wonder how many other postini users get mails 3, 4 or even 6 hours after being sent.

Thanks
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

To be clear for everyone else:

We've received reports of this problem on Wednesday and Friday (today) from two customers. We've passed this information on to Postini and we're still awaiting a response.

I just don't want to scare anyone off from using Postini if it suits their need just because of this forum thread. I use it personally and haven't had any problems at all with hundreds of legitimate e-mails per day. If this problem is in fact occurring, it is very limited and it should get resolved soon.

Comment

• RedDirtRanch
      • Jul 2007

I've been a postini user and have resold it to my most valued customers for years and still recommend and use Postini. I am just fishing for common denominators. The delays seem to occur between the senders SMTP server and postini's servers.

Comment

• KyleC
        • Mar 2004

One of my accounts on postini is having this same problem with random emails consistently over the past 2-3 weeks. Andrew, did you hear anything from postini?

One of the ways we confirm the problem is through their efax service. When it is set to send to a non-dathorn address it comes immediately. However when sent to the dathorn postini address sometimes the delay is up to 6 hours.
        Last edited by KyleC; 03-22-2008, 08:10 PM.
        -Kyle

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Postini did confirm one isolated incident of e-mails being delayed quite a while ago. Since then I've been in contact a couple of times and they've stated that there are no problems occurring.

If you experience problems, please submit a ticket with the full headers of the email. This way we can in fact confirm whether or not the delay is occurring because of Postini. If they delay is due to Postini, we'll certainly contact them again and pass on the message headers.

Comment

• RedDirtRanch
            • Jul 2007

I never got any resolution which is a real pain, 200 + spams a day vs delayed messages. I cancelled postini for my account and one of my clients cancelled after only one day. I'm looking for another solution.

Andrew was very helpful in pointing out which delays were caused eleswhere but I never got any answer on the others except "... they insist that they are not having any problems
            at all. I have no reason not to believe them."

Even though I sent headers of messages I sent from different accounts that were delayed up to six hours I was told:
            " A sending server's system
            time can be set incorrectly and easily make it appear as if an e-mail was delayed
            when it wasn't."
            I know when I sent these and they came to my other accounts imediately.
            This was with an offer to remove Postini from my domains which I did.
            Last edited by RedDirtRanch; 03-23-2008, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

We have absolutely no control over Postini's mail delivery system. All that we can do is pass on the information to them and await their response. With millions of users it is obviously very difficult to get a company like that to budge based on a couple of end user complaints. We'll do everything that we can but we're still stuck waiting for someone else to take action.

By all means, if you're seeing delayed e-mails from Postini, submit them in a ticket. I'll continue to pass them on for investigation.

Just realize that there are MANY reasons for which e-mail can be delayed. Mail headers cannot even show all of these possibilities.

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Good news. This should no longer be a problem for any e-mails that are sent to you from this point forward. Postini was able to isolate the problem which has been corrected.

Comment

• Stephen
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by AndrewT
                  Good news. This should no longer be a problem for any e-mails that are sent to you from this point forward. Postini was able to isolate the problem which has been corrected.
                  Did they happen to mention what was causing the delays? I am seeing similar problems with mail sent to users behind Postini and found this thread while looking for a root cause.

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

Check the connection limits that you have configured for your inbound servers and simply remove them if you have any. These don't work as they should and can result in Postini deferring messages unnecessarily instead of spooling them.

Comment

Working...