Auto-Purge on webmail clients or deleting .Trash folder via Cpanels File Manager

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scampisi
    • Aug 2006

Auto-Purge on webmail clients or deleting .Trash folder via Cpanels File Manager

I was wondering if there is a way to have the trash folders in the webmail clients automatically purged. I have a number of clients who continue to use webmail and continue to forget to purge their trash. If there isn't a way, will it create any trouble for the webmail software if I just delete the trash file from cpanel File Manager, rather than logging into each webmail account and going through the purge process? The file I would be deleting most often is this:

mail/mydomain.com/cluelessuser/.neomail-trash

I also have few customers who have never set a default address and therefore have built up a huge amount of spam in a folder that is:

mail/new

This is directly from their root. It is NOT in:

mail/mydomain.com/username/new

When I go to the folder to delete files, there are thousands of them. Is that a folder that I can delete, or do I need to delete each file inside the folder? I was assuming that the folder would be re-created when more email came in, but I don't like assuming. I have been deleting from an FTP application and it is taking forever. The CPanel File Manager doesn't seem to even display the files, and the disk usage viewer seems to just show this folder as my problem.
    I am not that good with a linux cmd line, so I am trying to keep from messing anything up. Sorry to bother you with what are probably stupid questions, but I am needing to clean up disk space more frequently now and it is taking quite a bit of time.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

The .neomail-trash folder shouldn't even be in use at this point unless they have configured their webmail software to use that folder for Trash. I say this because that was Neomail specific which hasn't been offered for a very long time. Though it is certainly possible that there could be leftover mail in there from when Neomail was available.

As far as deleting folders, you should only delete ones that are named "new" or "cur". To be safe, simply recreate them afterwards. Do not delete a parent folder that contains "new" and "cur" folders.

If you have large folders that you need cleared out you can always submit a ticket and request us to do it for you. It would be much quicker and use far fewer system resources.

Comment

• ZYV
      • Sep 2005

You could log in via ssh and execute the following command:
      rm -rf /path/to/the/folder/to/delete
      This is going to take a few instants to finish, but please be warned that this is a recursive delete action which cannot be undone.

Comment

• fcm
        • Oct 2005

So, is there a difference between what is in the 'cur' and 'new' files? I have a similar issue with clients not deleting and getting up there on their disk space. I don't want to delete their current emails, just the spam.

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

cur is for read e-mail, new is for unread e-mail.

Comment

• fcm
            • Oct 2005

Ok, I am also seeing lots of stuff in /.spam. Can that be deleted and recreated?

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

Yes, that would be the spam folder.

Comment

• fcm
                • Oct 2005

Thanks, will give it a try.

Comment

• fcm
                  • Oct 2005

Hmm. Can't seem to find the /.spam file on the file manager. I deleted the 'new' file under it, but am not sure how to recreate?

Comment

• AndrewT
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2004

Not all e-mail accounts or domains will have spam folders. This folder is typically only present when SpamBox has been enabled.

It's just a "new" folder. You can simply recreate it or not, as it will be recreated automatically if needed.

Comment

• fcm
                      • Oct 2005

Right, but this one has the spam box. It just doesn't show up when I try to go into File Manager to recreate it. I can't find any reference to the spam file anywhere in file manager, for any of the accounts.

If I delete the 'new' file under /.spam, it will generate a new one when more spam comes in? That would be great, I am just concerned about screwing it up.

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

I don't understand the problem. If you've deleted the folders within the spam folder then there is no need to delete the spam folder itself.

If you delete the new and cur folders they will be recreated when necessary.

If you require support from us you need to submit a ticket.

Comment

• fcm
                          • Oct 2005

I'm not trying to delete the spam folder.

As the other poster mentioned, the spam folder does not show in the file manager. That is what I was asking about.

If the subfolders in spam recreate automatically, great. I still think they should show up in the file manager.

Comment

• AndrewT
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2004

This is likely due to it being considered as a "hidden" file due to the name starting with a period. Many programs do this by default. There may or may not be an option to enabling the displaying of hidden files (I don't remember). Regardless, we don't recommend using the file manager.

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

I just went through the X3 theme to the File Manager link and it clearly does display a pop up asking which directory you want it to open with and there is a check box at the bottom to enable the viewing of hidden files.

If you do not get the pop up then someone previously selected to not have it be shown again. At the bottom of the main page for cPanel there is a "reset all interface settings" link which will revert this.

Comment

Working...