Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-Purge on webmail clients or deleting .Trash folder via Cpanels File Manager

Default Auto-Purge on webmail clients or deleting .Trash folder via Cpanels File Manager

I was wondering if there is a way to have the trash folders in the webmail clients automatically purged. I have a number of clients who continue to use webmail and continue to forget to purge their trash. If there isn't a way, will it create any trouble for the webmail software if I just delete the trash file from cpanel File Manager, rather than logging into each webmail account and going through the purge process? The file I would be deleting most often is this:

mail/mydomain.com/cluelessuser/.neomail-trash

I also have few customers who have never set a default address and therefore have built up a huge amount of spam in a folder that is:

mail/new

This is directly from their root. It is NOT in:

mail/mydomain.com/username/new

When I go to the folder to delete files, there are thousands of them. Is that a folder that I can delete, or do I need to delete each file inside the folder? I was assuming that the folder would be re-created when more email came in, but I don't like assuming. I have been deleting from an FTP application and it is taking forever. The CPanel File Manager doesn't seem to even display the files, and the disk usage viewer seems to just show this folder as my problem.
    I am not that good with a linux cmd line, so I am trying to keep from messing anything up. Sorry to bother you with what are probably stupid questions, but I am needing to clean up disk space more frequently now and it is taking quite a bit of time.

The .neomail-trash folder shouldn't even be in use at this point unless they have configured their webmail software to use that folder for Trash. I say this because that was Neomail specific which hasn't been offered for a very long time. Though it is certainly possible that there could be leftover mail in there from when Neomail was available.

As far as deleting folders, you should only delete ones that are named "new" or "cur". To be safe, simply recreate them afterwards. Do not delete a parent folder that contains "new" and "cur" folders.

If you have large folders that you need cleared out you can always submit a ticket and request us to do it for you. It would be much quicker and use far fewer system resources.

You could log in via ssh and execute the following command:
    rm -rf /path/to/the/folder/to/delete
    This is going to take a few instants to finish, but please be warned that this is a recursive delete action which cannot be undone.

So, is there a difference between what is in the 'cur' and 'new' files? I have a similar issue with clients not deleting and getting up there on their disk space. I don't want to delete their current emails, just the spam.

cur is for read e-mail, new is for unread e-mail.

Ok, I am also seeing lots of stuff in /.spam. Can that be deleted and recreated?

Yes, that would be the spam folder.

Thanks, will give it a try.

Hmm. Can't seem to find the /.spam file on the file manager. I deleted the 'new' file under it, but am not sure how to recreate?

Not all e-mail accounts or domains will have spam folders. This folder is typically only present when SpamBox has been enabled.

It's just a "new" folder. You can simply recreate it or not, as it will be recreated automatically if needed.

Thread Information