X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Referral Program?

What would you think of having a referrel program?

For instance, you refer someone to use our service and they enter your username when they order. Then after they have been using our service for 2 months or so you receive a credit to your account for the amount of 50% of their plan's price (actual numbers may be possibilities but were just mentioned to show an example).
  • KyleC
    • Mar 2004

Couldnt hurt. and more is better when it comes to a refferal fee.

maybe a free month for you instead of a % of their plan, that would make it easy to bill for

PS: can we get money for our past refferals??
    -Kyle

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

I like the idea. But don't like the depending on the customer typing in the referrel code/name. People are lazy. Could it be done through a link like:

Order now to experience the Dathorn Difference!

Like an affiliate program without the cookie or cookie duration?
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
        I like the idea. But don't like the depending on the customer typing in the referrel code/name. People are lazy. Could it be done through a link like:

Order now to experience the Dathorn Difference!

Like an affiliate program without the cookie or cookie duration?
        That is a very easy possibility as well.

Comment

• Andy
          • Mar 2004

Yes, i agree with Buddha aswell. People couldnt be bothered, and the link I think is much better.
          Andy

Comment

• KyleC
            • Mar 2004

i don't trust those links. what if they don't order right away? or don't use the link?
            I think if we used BOTH a link AND a referral field in the signup form it would be good.
            -Kyle

Comment

• Dan
              • Mar 2004

Split the kickback with them and they'll be much more likely to do whichever

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Sounds good to me, but I always get screwed on referals (ie, tigerdirect.com, proflowers.com, ect.) Basically given up on them unless I order myself..

EDIT
                Does this work on past referals? heh..
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

No it obviously will not effect any possible past referrals.

Comment

• Buddha
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by KyleC
                    i don't trust those links. what if they don't order right away? or don't use the link?
                    I think if we used BOTH a link AND a referral field in the signup form it would be good.
                    Both would be good didn't mean to imply otherwise. It shouldn't be difficult to fill the field from the link either if the variable is present in the request.

Got any banners Andrew?
                    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• halyfax
                      • Mar 2004

I think it is a great idea, I refer Dathorn to lots of people and some have signed up in the past. Which ever method you choose if fine with me, I just think it is a good idea

Comment

• DosEvil
                        • Apr 2004

Would it be possible to save the referral code in the cookies? That way a link would work also on those who dont buy off the bat.

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DosEvil
                          Would it be possible to save the referral code in the cookies? That way a link would work also on those who dont buy off the bat.
                          Cookies are not something I even want to deal with. They aren't exactly reliable to depend on.

Comment

• MindlessOath
                            • Mar 2004

!!!! sounds good to me.

i often tell people about this service, i dont know if they ever sign up because im not in direct contact with them, but this option will encurage your users (US) to increase your members

however just watch out not to overload the servers with to many members... we know in the buisness in general they do this, in order to make a profit of anything.

you run a tight game and i like that! if someone doesnt, they can take a look at the forums, if they dont bother to do the research before they sign up, then mabe they shoulda thought about it, and never were ment to run a website :P ya kinda confusing dissmiss this comment if ya want.
                            --------
                            aka Mo2

Comment

• aqi
                              • Apr 2004

only just saw this thread.

I would very much appreciate a referral program, i'm a moderator at several forums where i have recommended dathorn to several people, at least 6 have bought plans here, one of your mods is here because of me too

cookies aren't 100% reliable as they can be deleted but a simple one holding the person referral id with an expiration time will only increase that persons chance of getting the refferal, they don't cause any problems.

Comment

Working...