Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhills
    • Mar 2004

ssl stuff

I use the secure https:// url to access cpanel. Now that I have upgraded to Firefox 3, I get the error message below. It gives me the option to add an exception. I assume this will work, and is safe. But I want to double-check. Is it still safe and secure to use the https:// url to securely transmit the password to enter cpanel?

And secondly, is there any way to SECLURELY access the server with Filezilla FTP program? Right now I use Jiwire to securely tunnel in to the server from my laptop when I have to do so using public wifi hotspots. But it would be easier and better if I could just do it securely without the Jiwire tunnel. I have always assumed I would need to buy SSL for each domain I do this with in order to do that. Is there another, cheaper way?

-------
    Secure Connection Failed

cpanel71.gzo.com:2083 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed.

(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

Or you can add an exception…
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Yes, the SSL URL for WHM/cPanel is secure. It is simply a self-signed SSL certificate and as such will always prompt a warning unless you configure your browser not to do so.

You can use SFTP to access your accounts. Just configure your software to do this (if it can). I know on my Ubuntu copy of FileZilla I just have to change the port to 22 when connecting (22 is the SSH port). Make sure that the domain has SSH access enabled first.

Comment

• bhills
      • Mar 2004

I've been googling around to try to find out how to know if a domain has SSH access, with no luck. How to I determine that, and how to I turn it on if I don't have SSH access?

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

You can go to the modify account page in WHM and check the "Shell" check box to give an account SSH access.

Comment

Working...