Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kkbbzzaa
    • Jul 2004

IP Geo Location

Some sites like Google get the geo location by the ip... I mean, if I'm accessing Google form Argentina, Google will automatically redirect me to Google.com.ar

I was wondering how this is done... is this something i can find on my server or a service i'll need to purchase??

Any info on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Mateo
    oxoia.com
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

You might want to take a look here:

This is not something that we currently offer though we may in the future if there is demand for it. Truthfully, though, pricing can be rather expensive and it is often overkill for most.

Comment

• ZYV
      • Sep 2005

That depends on what you want it to be. Most of us use geolocation to automatically redirect customers to the part of the website in their language and/or display relevant ads/news etc. Some do, however, (like Google) redirect to different servers located in different countries, hoping that content delivery speed will be a bit better.

If you need the first type of geolocation, you need to purchase something like Maxmind's GeoIP database and integrate it into your website. Otherwise you might take a look at Akamai etc. By the way, I think it is possible to use it in conjunction with Dathorn's hosting (eg. for images and heavy stuff only), but that should be very expensive anyway.

Comment

• Elite
        • Apr 2004

IIRC Maxmind do offer a free version - although the accuracy is not as good as the paid service

Here you go

HTH

Comment

• mystic
          • Nov 2006

Globule

If you don't mind a less robust mechanism than Akamai, that you can control (install, configure etc.), you might want to look at the Globule CDN

Comment

Working...