Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • felipe808
    • Mar 2004

update servers

I was just wondering: if it takes 24hours (which I know it does) to transfer the files from the old server to the new server, with all the backup software and smart coders out there, why couldn't one do a backup off the old server say 48 hours ahead of time and then do an incremental backup to the new server at cut over time? Those full transfers take too long and the incrementals fly.

This is too obvious so I assume there is a good reason.

I hate to be down for 24 hours; it won't kill me for sure, but it's a long time. That's how long the last upgrade had my site off line.

Just bitchin' a little. Dathorn is a great place to be.

Thanks and regards, Felipe
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

We've continued to use what we know works and works well. That is not to say that there isn't a better way, it would just introduce more problems as we cannot possibly catch everything in our testing when it comes to something this big.

We typically only do these upgrades every 18-24 months and now that we've slowly gotten our servers upgraded to our new platform we may even be able to extend this time period even longer as they servers can be upgraded much more easily.

Having said that, I do want to be very clear, at NO point are your websites ever down at all during this process.

Comment

• felipe808
      • Mar 2004

interesting.

Well, I am surprised to see they are still up now that the transfer is going.

Oh, the last time it was a drive failure...that was it...I see...ok...that's cool.

Nice. If the site is up, forget about all that drivel before. No worries. Thank.s

Comment

• felipe808
        • Mar 2004

perfectly popping 72

I figure I owe Andrew this since I started this with a misapprehension regarding server changes.

panel 57 is now 72 with nary a blink of an eye...and, as usual, it's faster than ever. I'm out of the country now and my site "drop's" as though I be on a high speed connection.

Hat's off to Dathorn. Good work...again!

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Thanks

Comment

Working...